Chapter 44: Love Me Like I Love You

"Anak, please be careful next time, okay? Your pretty hands shouldn't have scars on it."

Mirasol's mother applied cream to the burn. Everyone was gathered in the living room, just as Mira was tended by her parents. The rest of them were quiet, wanting the family to have their much needed time together. Her dad then went ahead to wrap the hand in a gauze, careful not to be too tight with it.

Once they were done with the burn, everyone finally went ahead to the dining table so they can eat the food. Mira's parents were already trying to baby her, wanting to feed her while her hand was injured. But through her happy tears, Mira reassured the two that she was fine and that she could handle eating on her own.

The way they have reunited, it didn't seem like the past three years happened. Her parents cared and loved her just the same, maybe even more so.

And okay, maybe Mira allowed them to feed her a couple times.

During the dinner, Mira's father, and occasionally Mira herself, had to translate for the mother to the others, as she could only speak Filipino. But even so, the dinner turned out much more lighthearted than any of them could expect. Hearing her parents speak in Filipino after so long was unbelievably comforting to Mira, and she smiled a bit every time she could converse to them with it.

It was a language she had grown up with.

"Mirasol, have you been doing okay, lately?" Her father asked her in filipino. The young girl hummed before fully nodding her head, a bit nervously but with confidence.

Jovelyn really hadn't popped up lately.

"That's great. When we got the call that your doctor said you're ready to see us, we made sure to fly over here as soon as possible!" Her mother replied. Her hands gently held onto Mira's cheeks. "It has been so long, anak. You grew so much since we last seen you. We're so happy right now."

"I've cut you out though," Mirasol murmured, tone sad. "I haven't messaged, called, nor visited. You two must've been so sick with worry. I-I couldn't—"

"Please, it's okay. It's not your fault. It was never your fault. Not even what happened with your sister."

Those words stirred something within Mira. Was it even more relief? It really did lift the rest of guilt she had left in her. She managed to smile at her parents.

"This tea you made is really lovely, by the way," Mr. Choi chided. "You really learned from the best, hmm?"

"Haha, tatay, you sound so conceited saying that."

"I am the best tea maker though!"

.  .  .

The night ended when Jongdae and Minhae decided it was time to head home. Just as everyone bid their farewells to the young married couple, Mira's parents thought they should do the same.

"Samchon, Imo, I wish you could've let me know earlier so I could've made room for you two to stay here," Minseok said just as the two were about to leave.

"There's no need, Minseok-ah, but thank you for the thought," Mr. Choi replied, patting his nephew's shoulder.

"O-Oh, before you two leave," Sehun suddenly piped up. Surprisingly enough, the heir hadn't talked much throughout the night. At least, not to Mira's parents. All he could have managed to do was the greet them and ask them a few introductory questions; nothing further than that. However, he wasn't going to miss the chance to give them the presents he had bought specifically for them.