one

The hollow road feels rocky as the taxi makes its way down the street. I'm left in a daze as the familiar houses pass me by. This small, washed out town seems to get smaller and smaller every summer I visit.

I lean into the back seat with a sigh, anxious as my double life awaits me. Well, it feels like I live a double life. New York City socialite in the winter, care free Floridian in the summer. I prefer the second life, the one this patchy old taxi is taking me to.

I decided a month ago to surprise my dad a week earlier than I was supposed to arrive. He was nervous I wasn't even going to return this summer, he thought what happened last year would haunt me forever. It did, and it will, but nothing can really keep me from this small oceanic town. I can picture his big goofy smile now as we are only a block away from the beautiful beach house I've been calling my home every summer since I was fourteen.

The taxi pulls up to the cream color house that is perfectly surrounded by palm trees. My heart begins to skip a beat as I step out of the infamous yellow car, throwing the duffle bag over my shoulder. The driver steps out of the front seat and opens the trunk for me, grabbing the rest of my suitcases.

"Thank you." I smile politely and hand him cash for picking me up from the airport.

The man nods and places the money in the pocket of his jeans. "Not a problem at all." He smiles sweetly and gets back into the driver's seat before pulling away from the curb.

My blue eyes focus up on the house that I have fallen in love with. Wheeling my suitcase up the driveway, I ring the doorbell and impatiently wait for my father to swing the door open.

"Coming!" I hear his voice boom from inside. When he arrives in front of me his jaw drops. "No way."

"Surprise!" I giggled and pull him into a tight hug.

"Madison, what are you doing here? You're not suppose to be here until next week." My father says in shock as he hugs me back.

"Do you want me to call the taxi and tell him to bring me back to the airport?" I tease as he hits my arm playfully.

"Oh, shut it." My father laughs and grabs my luggage from me. "This is even better, we get an extra week together."

"I convinced mom to let me come a week earlier since I already took all of my finals." I explain as I walk into the house.

"I'm still in shock." My father laughs. "It feels like I haven't seen you in years."

"It's only been ten months, but who's counting?" I make my way to the kitchen and grab a cold water bottle out of the refrigerator.

"Ten months too long, I countdown the days until summer just so you can make your grand entrance." His laugh is deep and husky as he joins me in the kitchen.

"The highlight of everyone's year is my arrival." I joke as I push a piece of my blonde hair behind my ear.

"It certainly is." My father agrees. "I'm so glad you decided to come back. The way you were talking at Christmas made me nervous."

My stomach lightly turns as I think back to the dreadful event.

"I would never not come visit you, dad." I reassure him with a slight lie.

"I saw Anthony yesterday, he's gonna be thrilled you're here earlier than usual." My father changes the subject.

I nod at the mention of my boyfriend's name. "I can't wait to see everyone."

"Listen, there's something I need to talk to you about. I'm not sure how you're going to feel about it." His voice becomes serious as his eyes directly come in contact with mine.