two

"It's not that big of a deal." My father challenges me as he grabs the first aid kit out of the top kitchen cabinet.

"Yes it is!" I exclaim frustrated. "I live here too for the three months that I stay with you. I would like to know if some strange boy is living in my house."

Grayson's eyes look directly into mine as he stands there uncomfortably.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you." I break away from his dark brown eyes.

"It's fine." He says as he turns the sink on and begins to rinse his cut under the water.

"Madison, you need to calm down." My father hands me the sterile gauze from the first aid kit.

I grab it forcefully. I guess I'm a nurse now.

"Don't tell me to calm down." I roll my eyes as Grayson stands in front of the sink.

"I was going to tell you before you got here, you just happen to surprise me a week early."

"Oh, so it's my fault then?" My voice booms.

"No, it's nobody's fault. Grayson is a great kid and a hard worker. He had nowhere to go." My father always tries to justify his actions.

"You should have discussed this with me the second you considered him living here."

How could my father not tell me something this important?

"Sweetheart, it's fine. His room is on the complete opposite side of the house from yours if you're worried about him bothering you." My father looks back at Grayson who looks terrified.

"It's not that, It's just.." I stop myself from continuing that sentence.

"He's nothing like that other prick, that's for sure."

My father's words send shivers down my spine.

"I don't want to talk about that." I protest.

"We won't." He sighs.

"I almost didn't come back here this summer after what happened, why would you risk breaking my trust?" I snap angrily.

"I wasn't trying to, Mads. I would never do anything to make you upset."

My raging thoughts are interrupted when Grayson clears his throat.

"Look, I have to go down to the marina now. We'll discuss this tonight." My father says calmly.

I nod slowly as he makes his way out the front door, leaving Grayson and I standing alone in silence.

"I'm sorry." I break the ice.

"Don't apologize." Grayson shrugs.

I wrap the gauze around his bloody wrist.

"Does it sting?"

"Yeah, but it's fine." There is a soft tone behind his voice.

Once the gauze is securely wrapped around his wrist, I place the first aid kit back in the cabinet.

"All done." I say awkwardly.

"You sure you're not a lifeguard?" He chuckles.

I roll my eyes and shake my head. "No, and I don't plan on becoming one either."

"That's too bad. They could use one like you."

I'm not exactly sure what he means by that.

"How do you know Anthony?"

"Oh, uh, from school." Grayson sighs.

"You guys don't seem too friendly." I imply.

"Cause we aren't. He's kind of a dick."