nine

"Have you spoken to Anthony since the charity event?" My father asks as we turn down another aisle of the quiet grocery store. We usually spend our Monday mornings roaming around the local market, bickering about what cereal we should buy for the week. It's a lot easier to do simple tasks with him rather than my mother. She always has something to complain about.

"No." I simply answer as I pick up a box of Lucky Charms from the shelf. I have been avoiding Anthony since he got drunk at the charity event and stormed inside like a baby.

"Is everything going okay between the two of you?" He looks down at the list of groceries on the piece of paper in his hand.

"Not really." I sigh, placing two boxes of Lucky Charms in the shopping cart. That's my favorite, and it's usually the one Grayson eats the most. "Our relationship hasn't been the same since last summer."

"Everything that happened affected him, too." My father justifies. "All winter he's been distant, even Kathy began to notice. I don't even think she knows what fully happened."

I usually ask my father for advice on simple things, like what classes I should take next year or if my shoes match my outfit. It was different getting his opinion on my relationship. "I don't know what to do."

"If your heart isn't into it, then maybe just end things." He looks at me with a shrug while pushing the shopping cart down the aisle.

I knew he was right. Deep down my feelings for Anthony weren't the same. There was a time where I could have seen myself falling in love with him. A time where my smile never went away because he was always around. After everything happened, we both changed. I just hated the idea of breaking his heart.

"We need more milk." I change the topic of conversation. "Grayson drank the last of it."

"You seem to really like him." A laugh escapes my father's mouth as we walk over to the milk.

"He's growing on me." I take a gallon and place it in the shopping cart.

"Well, I'm glad. He's a great kid, I feel really bad about what happened to him."

"Me too." Grayson hasn't had it easy either. Maybe that's the reason why I feel so comfortable around him.

After paying for all of our items, my father and I head back home. It is a beautiful day, as always. The air is humid and the sun is shining brighter than ever.

"The sun is strong today." He points out.

"Maybe Grayson and I should take the boat out." I tease as we pull into the rocky driveway.

"Very funny." My father chuckled as he turns the engine off.

"You had that one coming." I hop out of the passenger seat, making my way to the trunk.

The creak of the front door opening made my head turn. Grayson steps outside and walks over to the open trunk. He isn't wearing a shirt, just bathing suit bottoms.

"Please tell me you got more cereal." He smiles as he takes a package.

"Yup, Lucky Charms." My father picks up another bag from the trunk.

"Don't eat it all in one day." I roll my eyes as Grayson smirks at me.

"I'll try not to."

I smile lightly before heading inside. I begin to unload the groceries when Grayson places another bag on the table.

"This is the last bag. I'm heading to the beach now."

"Are you going surfing?" I look at him as he heads toward the sliding glass door.