eighteen

My eyes shift down to Grayson's hardwood floors that make up the bottom of his room. I have completely zoned out at this point, unable to speak. I bring my knees to my chest and sigh. Grayson is sitting next to me, not speaking a single word. He stares at me with those comforting brown eyes that make my heart melt.

"Madison." He slowly whispers. "It's been twenty minutes of sitting in silence. You need to tell me whatever it is you want to tell me."

"I know." I continue to stare at the floor. "I just don't know where to start."

"Start at the beginning." Grayson looks at me carefully.

"Okay." I take a deep breath, preparing myself for the night ahead of me. "As you know, the person that I'm so scared of seeing is named Ben. I met him last summer, and at the time he was Anthony's best friend. We hung out with him and Victoria and Kevin every night. The five of us were a little friend group. I heard whispers around town that he had a crush on me, but I never believed any of them. He knew Anthony and I were dating and he seemed harmless to me. The whole summer was going fine, until two days before I left to go back home. Kevin was throwing a big party that Victoria begged me to go to. At the time I was a major party girl, so of course I was in. That was my first mistake."

"You look so hot!" Victoria giggles as she looks my outfit up and down. I am wearing black high waisted shorts and a tight red crop top. My red lipstick makes my blue eyes pop and my hair is in perfect beach curls.

"So do you." She's wearing a similar outfit as mine, only she probably looks better in it.

"This party is going to be insane. Ben promises it'll be a night to remember." She links her arm with mine as we walk down the soft sand. "Plus, this is the last one of summer."

"Well, I hope it's a good one. It's all anyone's been talking about, especially Anthony." I laugh.

"You two better have sex tonight." Victoria smirks and nudges me.

"Victoria!" I giggle with embarrassment at my best friend.

"What? It's the truth! You have been dating him for two months and you're not gonna see him for a long time. Lock that down already!"

"Maybe, I guess we'll see how the night goes." I consider the idea.

We reach the back of the large beach house. The deck was already filled with tons of people drinking and smoking weed.

Victoria rushes up the stairs and enters the kitchen from the back door. I follow her inside, watching the party unravel in front of me. People are taking shots in the kitchen while girls were stripping down to their bra and underwear and dancing on the living room table. This is the biggest party I have ever seen.

"Told you it would be insane." Victoria smiles as she grabs two red solo cups and pours cherry vodka into them both. That is always my drink of choice.

We kick off the night by taking a few shots. I sit down at the kitchen table while Victoria stands on the other side of it, serving as my own personal bartender. A few minutes of laughing, drinking and telling dumb stories, my head already starts to blur.

I wrap my fingers around the plastic red solo cup as the burning liquor made its way down my warm throat. I look across the kitchen counter to see Victoria pouring another drink.

"Here, girl." She hands me another cup and I willingly accept it.

"So, where's Kevin?" I giggle up at her.