fifteen

Grayson and I walk through the front door right as the rain begins to fall.

"Dad?" My nerves take over when I think back to the seriousness in his voice.

"In here." He is standing at the kitchen counter, a fresh cup of coffee gripped through his fingers.

I walk into the kitchen with Grayson following behind me.

"What's up?" I nervously ask him.

He looks at me with a sigh, then his eyes glance at Grayson who is sitting at the table.

"I should have seen this coming." He places his cup on the counter.

"What are you talking about?" I ask curiously.

Without saying a word, my father walks into the living room. He comes back seconds later with a white envelope in his hand.

"This arrived in the mail today."

"Well, what is it?" I look at the white paper in his hand.

"Why don't you explain it to me." His voice is surprisingly more calm than before. He hands me the envelop and crosses his arms over his chest.

I open the seal and another piece of paper is the first thing I see. A typed note is folded over inside of the envelope. I read the message out loud as my voice trembles.

Hey Bill, ever wonder what your daughter is doing at midnight? Lucky for you I know the answer to that.

I look back at my disappointed father as I pull something else out of the envelope.

"Why don't you two explain that."

My hand shakes as I hold up a picture of Grayson and I wrapped around each other in the community pool, our faces inches away from each other. My jaw drops as a gasp escapes my mouth.

"Who sent this to you?" I ask. Grayson stands up and looks at the picture, his eyes grow angry as he stares at it.

"I don't know, there was no return address. It was hand placed in the mailbox because the front of the envelope had no writing on it." He looks at me.

"Bill, we can explain this." Grayson shifts his eyes to my upset father.

"First of all, you broke into the community pool after hours." My father begins. "Second of all, you two thought you could have a secret relationship and not tell me? Did you think I wouldn't find out about it?"

"It's not like that." I explain. "Nothing serious was going on so we didn't think you needed to know at the moment."

"Of course I would need to know, Madison." My father looks at me. "You two live together, you can't get more serious than that." He glares at the picture.

"Bill we didn't-"

"Don't even start, Grayson." My father cuts him off. "I know this was your idea, you have access to the pool and you abused the privilege of having it so you can have secret make out sessions with my daughter." the rage in my fathers face is beginning to scare me.

"It was not like that, sir." Grayson begins. "Yes, it was my idea to go to the pool but I would never take advantage of your daughter like that. I know that photo looks bad, but nothing happened between Madison and I in that pool."

"We heard a noise so we immediately left." I sigh. "Now I know somebody was watching us, doesn't that concern you more?"

"It does concern me, but not as much as this does." My father looks back at Grayson. "I invited you into my home and now you're sneaking around with my daughter."