forty five

Madison's POV:

Today is by far the longest and most exhausting day I've had in awhile. After talking over deals and legal affairs with Mr. Jones, I went straight to my guidance counselor. I told her all about FAU and we started my application process. This is my life, and I'm finally taking control of it. I haven't really been talking to Grayson and it makes me feel terrible.

I want to tell him everything that's been going on with Joseph and my mother, but I don't want him to worry about me. He needs to focus on school and getting into FAU. I feel like this is something I need to handle independently. My nerves are all over the place as I walk toward my apartment complex. The air is cold and windy, just like any typical day in November.

I want to confront my mother once and for all. This is the one and only time I'm hoping she's home when I enter the apartment. My heart begins to race as I pull my keys out of my bag and open the front door. My body freezes when I see her standing in the living room, my large suitcase that already has some clothes in it is placed on the couch.

"Madison," She glares at me. "Care to explain why your suitcase is in the process of being filled?"

I roll my eyes as I take off my heavy jacket and place it on the coat rack. "Care to explain why you're such a cold hearted bitch to your daughter?"

"What did you just say young lady?" She looks applauded by my harsh comment.

"I know all about Joseph, who just so happens to be Mr. Cooper." I angrily cross my arms over my chest.
"Don't try to deny it because he already told me everything. I know you got him a job, I know you planned the application for NYU, I know you've been having an affair with him, I know it all."

"Grow up." She scoffs at me. "You're going to NYU and that's final."

"Actually, I'm not." I mentally prepare myself for World War 3 that is about to take place in my living room. "I've been in contact with Bryce Jones, and I want dad to have full custody of me."

"That will never happen." She gives me a pathetic laugh. "I won't allow it."

"Too bad because it's already in the works." I try to hide the smirk that is appearing across my face.
"And I'm already applying to college in Florida, and you'll never find out which one."

"In order for your father to have full custody of you I have to sign off on it, which I will never do."

"Not if I legally become emancipated from you." This woman gets me so angry, I can already feel my skin burning.

"You can't be serious." She laughs again, acting as if this is some joke. "You are so damn dramatic, Madison."

"I'm very serious." My expression is emotionless. "You don't give a shit about me, it was always about you. All you cared about my whole life is your Prada bags and shopping at Tiffany's. Your world revolves around money and expensive things. You control every single thing I do and I'm so sick of it!" I raise my voice. "I can't believe you would force me to go to a college I don't even want to be near."

"You are throwing your life away and it's sad," She clearly doesn't get where I'm coming from. "And it's all for your scumbag of a father and your loser boyfriend."

"My scumbag of a father and loser boyfriend treat me better than you ever will." It's taking all of my energy not to slap her.

"They don't know what's good for you." She looks down at the suitcase that is still on the couch. "Explain this. Now." She rudely snaps.

"I'm going to my real family for Thanksgiving. It shouldn't be a problem for you considering you'll be shaking it up with Mr. Cooper anyway."

"You booked a plane ticket to Florida and didn't discuss it with me?" Her voice booms. "You can't do that. The agreement is you stay there all summer but you stay here for the holidays."