twenty nine

"So, are you all packed for tomorrow?" My father looks at me sitting in the dark blue booth across from him.

"Yeah." I deeply sigh and look down at my french fries.

"Is your mother picking you up at the airport?" He takes a sip of his soda and looks back down at his burger.

"She'll probably have some sort of car service get me instead." I roll my eyes.

"That sounds like your mother, always living the luxury life." My father shakes his head with a mocking laugh escaping his mouth. My parents could not be more opposite.

"I feel like we're going to be fighting the second I step foot into the apartment." I knew it was true.
When my mother finds out Ben attacked me again, I could kiss ever seeing my father again goodbye.

"You know how to handle her." He laughs again. "I know she can be difficult and you don't agree on much, but in her own way she's trying to do the best for you."

"Yeah, well she doesn't show it well." I lean back against my seat.

"Are you ready for school? Senior year is so exciting." His annoyed tone at the thought of my mother changed into an energetic smile.

"I guess so." I shrug my shoulders. "I can't wait to graduate."

"I can't believe it. My little girl is growing up." He takes another sip of his soda and smiles back at me.

"Dad, thank you." I look over to him. "For everything. I mean, you have done so much for me my whole life. You always supported me and never doubted my judgment."

"You're a great kid, Madison. I wish we got to spend more time together, like old times." My father and I were very close when I was younger.

We were inseparable, I was definitely daddy's little girl. I don't necessarily wish my parents were still married, they were terrible together. I guess the whole 'opposites attract' theory can only last so long. I just wish he lived in New York so we could see eachother every day.

"And thank you for looking out for Grayson." I smile at the thought of what my father has done for him.
"That was really brave of you for taking him in."

"I knew he was a good kid." My father lightly grinned. "I have a lot of respect for him, especially after everything he has done for you."

"I care about him a lot." I can feel my cheeks flushing just talking about him.

"And I know he cares a lot about you. He always tells me how lucky he is to have you in his life."

My heart skips a beat at the fact that Grayson gushes about me to my father. It makes me love him even more, which I didn't think was possible.

"I wish he didn't have to work tonight." I sigh. "It's my last night here."

"Well, at least we got to have one last dinner together." He looks back over to me.

"True." I am really happy I get to spend this moment with my father.

"I don't want to get all sappy, but I am proud of you. I know dealing with that prick Ben was a lot to handle. You stuck up for yourself and fought back."

"I tried." I don't even want to think of what could have happened if the police didn't show up.

"I'm sure I'll be getting an angry phone call from your mother the second she finds out." He exhales a loud breath.

"I don't want to tell her." I shake my head and look back down at my barely touched food. "He didn't actually do anything, why does she need to know? She would only turn it into more of a problem."