forty eight

"Excuse me?" Grayson manages to choke his shaky words out. "What are you talking about? My parents aren't dead."

I turn back to the man and wait for his dreaded answer.

"I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but your parents were in a very bad car accident." He sighs and looks at Grayson's broken soul.

"No." He shakes his head. "That can't be true."

"Are you sure it was Grayson's parents?" I speak up to get the truth. "You might have the wrong people."

"Are these your parents?" The man pulls his phone out and hands it to him. Grayson stares at it with his jaw hanging low. He nods slowly and looks back up at him. "I was in contact with them a few weeks ago."

"I don't believe you." Grayson angrily says through his teeth. "Did somebody set you up to this? Tell me right now!"

"I know this is hard for you, but no." The stranger shakes his head. "By the state of Florida you need to be put in a foster home if your parents are not present. Is William Parker a family member or a legal guardian?"

"No, but that shouldn't matter!" Grayson yells while his face becomes red.

"I'm sorry Mr. Dolan but you're going to have to be put in the foster system since you're a minor."

"I'm not going anywhere with you!" Grayson screams. "How do I know you aren't some stalker? How do I know you even work for foster care systems?"

"You can call and ask." The man nods to the business card that is still in my hand. "You can also look up the local Tallahassee news to see the information about the car accident."

Grayson peers out from behind the door and clenches his fists. "Wait a second, you drive the Sedan?" He angrily looks back at him. "You've been following me for weeks!"

"I got an anonymous tip that you were living here without your parents, so I contacted them to see if they wanted to come get you so this process wouldn't happen." He looks directly at Grayson. "They agreed for you to come live with them. When they got into the accident they were driving here. Now that they're gone you legally have to be put into the system."

"My parents can't be dead." Grayson paces back and forth. "I don't believe you!"

"He's not going with you." I turn back to the man. "He'll be eighteen in a few weeks."

"I know this is a lot to take in, but unless you live with a family member or legal guardian you have to be put in a foster home. Our center is located an hour away so that's most likely where you'll be living.'

"This is bullshit." Grayson raises his voice at him.

"You need to leave." I glare at the unwanted visitor. "Now."

"I'll be coming by on Saturday to take you to the center." The man slowly backs away from us. "I'm sorry this had to happen."

I slam the door shut and turn to the distraught look on Grayson's face.

"Grayson." I speak slowly, but he doesn't respond. He runs over to the laptop placed on the kitchen table and quickly types on the keyboard. I walk over to him with a deep sigh.

"Oh my God, it's true." The shakiness of his voice grows as he stares at the computer screen. "My parents are actually dead."

I lean closer to get a better look at the news article. There was a picture of his parents and a description of what happened to them. Their car blew a red light and instantly collided with another vehicle. I slowly look at Grayson who is bursting with tears.