xxvii

Sydney Michaels

Sydney Michaels

"Before I let you gooooooooo!" The whole room sang out loud. I danced on Chris while listening to him sing, something he does very well.

"I would never never never never never never never never never never let you go before I go." Chris sang in my ear.

I didn't expect to be having so much fun tonight but I really was enjoying myself. Seeing my mom and step dad so happy lit me up inside. My mom was glowing.

My dad and Rachel haven't shown up yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they decided not to come. The more I thought about it the more I realized how uncomfortable this all might be.

Once the music ended I grabbed Chris's hand and led him back to the table. He sat in the seat then pulled me on his lap.

"Did I tell you how beautiful you look tonight?" Chris asked while gripping my thigh.

"Yes, a million times but that doesn't matter because I love to hear you say it." I held his chin and kissed his lips. "And have I told you how handsome you look?"

"No but it don't matter cause I know I look good as hell."

"Ugh don't be cocky."

He smiled before squeezing my waist and kissing my cheek. "30 years of marriage. That's such a blessing man."

"It really is. You don't see that now days. People don't even get married because they're in love. They get married because they wanna prove a point or feel like they have to. Marriage is supposed to be a sacred thing. I'm not getting married unless I know I'm doing the right thing and it's because we genuinely love each other."

"I used to always feel like marriage is a piece of paper but when you see things like this you get a better understanding of it."

I nodded.

After that we just sat there in silence watching everybody enjoy themselves. I sipped on my glass of champagne and danced on his lap.

"Sydney." Someone called.

I quickly looked behind me at Jeff. "Hey, you made it." I stood up and we hugged.

"Of course, I love your parents. You look amazing."

"Thanks you look nice as well."

"Thank you. So is this, the lucky guy?" He pointed to Chris.

"Yes, Jeff this is my boyfriend Chris. Chris this is Jeff...my uuuh...an old friend of mine."