xxviii

Sydney Michaels

Sydney Michaels

I sat on my bed, staring at my feet as the tear drops hit my thighs. I've been stuck in my room since last night with my phone turned off. So many people called me last night and it wasn't to check up on me it was just to be nosey.

Why does all the embarrassing shit keep happening to me. This why I stayed away, this is why I keep my distance.

My life is a nightmare at times.

I can't believe Chris knew that she knew but said nothing. I could've avoided all of this chaos. The more I think about the more pissed off I get.

Why didn't I just stay in New York?

A knock emerged from my door then it opened with Shanice appearing. "Your mom is here."

"She can come in." I wiped the tears from my face, trying to be pretend as if I was unbothered by yesterday's antics.

My mom walked into my room shutting the door. She stood in front of me folding her arms across her chest with disappointment all over her face. I just looked at her waiting for something to be said.

It was quiet for a few minutes before she said anything. "Yesterday was a disaster."

I started to speak but she held up her hand.

"Everything was unnecessary but before we even get into that, you need to tell me why the hell you felt the need to hire a fake boyfriend. The only person that cared about you being a relationship was London, you didn't have to spend 20,000 dollars on something so stupid."

"You know, you say you didn't care but when I told you I had a boyfriend your face lit up."

"Because my daughter was finally happy! You went through something so horrible and I thought you'd never love anybody else. It's not because I felt like you had to prove something to me. But why go pay for someone? That's what I want to know."

Exhaling I gripped on to the end of the bed. "I never thought it would've gotten to that point of me having to pay for someone. But I'm not even the person that said I had a boyfriend it was Shanice and I just felt like at that point there was no turning back. Then I realized if I had nothing to show for it's going to make the situation worse if I'm looking like a liar. That's where Chris comes in. But the crazy part is, I didn't pay him a thing because we ended up falling for each other. He actually became my boyfriend."

"I saw the connection, so when your sister brought that up I was confused. I knew you two couldn't have been pretending."