lxi

Christopher Brown

Christopher Brown

My foot repeatedly tapped the floor as I waited for someone to come and give me an update on Sydney. I've been in here for almost two hours and they haven't told me anything.

It felt like I was about to have a fucking anxiety attack.

The waiting room door opened and I quickly stood to my feet, thinking I'd be face to face with a doctor. But it was my mom with Sydney's purse and Ace. Sitting back down, I groaned and ran my hands over my head.

"I called Sydney's parents. They'll be here soon." My mom said.

I just stared at the wall.

"I'm glad it's just us here now because we really need to talk." She continued.

"I'm not really in the mood for talking."

"Okay then just listen to what I have to say. Chris I'm not sure you and Sydney are meant for each other of if getting married next month is a good idea."

My nose turned up. "What?"

"Chris you two don't know each other and I feel like you guys have never took the time to try and get to know each other and I'm starting to believe that this relationship is toxic."

"How is it toxic Ma?"

"Chris she caused you to have a psychotic break when she wanted to leave. I just watched her fall down a flight of stairs because she wanted to fight you over Ace. There has probably been other times that I just don't know about. You and Syd need to have a serious talk. I know I've always told you Chris to hold onto something you want badly but this might not be it. I just want the both of you to stay sane for the sake of your son. There is no way Sydney should be in the hospital, that entire situation shouldn't have escalated this far. If you two really love each other, you would've been able to sit down and have a civilized conversation. The rage that you both consume can be very dangerous and we witnessed that today."

I sunk down in my seat as tears filled my eyes then eventually fell. "I love Sydney, we just got some things to work out."

"A lot of things Chris. I just don't want either of you to end up doing something that you'll eventually regret. Once we find out how she's doing and when you two have time you need to sit down and talk. But to me you two need to co-parent, and that's it. Think about your son. Chris you know what it's like to live in an unhappy home. Do you want that for Ace? Him hearing you and Sydney fighting all the time or even catch you two being physical. You know what that does to a child."