lv

Christopher Brown

A smile hasn't left Sydney's face since we've been here and that made me feel ten times better about this trip.

She's glowing and I love to see her like this. The baby shower turned out better than I expected. We got so much stuff, I don't even know where it's all going to fit. My son is beyond blessed.

I sat at the table, sipping on my drink just staring at the crowd. The seat next to me pulled back and Trey sat down.

"You did a good job man, Syd hasn't stopped smiling." He said. "I'm proud of you."

"Thanks man, I appreciate it."

"Can't lie, I'm shocked you about to be somebody's dad."

"You and me both." I laughed. "It's an amazing feeling though. I can't wait until he gets here."

"You seem so calm now man. What happened?"

"Life happened." I took a sip of my drink. "The old me wasn't ready for a kid, I had to make a few changes."

"I agree with that. They say kids humble you."

"Definitely...so what's up with you Shanice?" Its time to change the subject to his losses.

He looked over at her. "Nothing. I tried to fix things but she just wasn't trying to hear it. I miss her, I wish that we could work things out but there's no convincing her."

"Damn bro. Maybe she just need some time."

"How much time though?"

He sounded just like me and how I was with Syd. "Enough time, I know she still want to be with you cause she talks to Syd about it all the time some people just don't get over shit as fast as we want them to. Trust me I know." Memories from the night I snapped popped in my head. "Rushing makes things worse and you don't want that."

"Yeah....so how the hell did you get Syd here?"

"A road trip."

"What?!" He laughed. "Nigga she could've had the damn baby on the road."

"I know, everybody keep telling me that but we made it here safe and sound. Her doctors appointment is tomorrow, we good."

"What about the wedding, y'all started planning that?"

"Naw. Things got hectic we got into a bad argument and she kinda gave her ring back so it's like we basically ain't even engaged. Well we haven't talked about getting married again. Honestly I'm not in a rush anymore. I know eventually Sydney will become my wife, we just have other things to focus on."

"Damn, I can't believe this is coming from you! Like am
I dreaming? Man something happened back in Cali, was it a near death experience? What's up?"

"Wasn't no near death experience just a big wake up call that if I don't get my shit together, ima lose the best thing that ever happened to me. Maybe you need one, you'll figure out how to get Shanice back." Before he could say anything, I got up and went over to Sydney, wrapping my arms around her then kissing her cheek. "Enjoying yourself?"