#10

Draco's P.O.V (3rd person)

When the dream had started, Draco was a child only six years old, innocent and playful. He was running around Malfoy Manor, he'd been playing with a stray dog that had wandered over from some unknown place. He had been laughing, his hair full of grass and dirt from being knocked over by the dog. The dog was a female, with matted white and black fur, a border collie with one blue eye and one brown.

Draco had found the dog out by the edge of one of the fields, lying on the grass next to the barbed wire fence, the dog was small and thin, so Draco fetched her some meat from the manor's kitchen. Having eaten the food the dog stood up and wandered over to Draco, sniffing his hand and then rubbing against it as an invitation to stroke her.

They'd played together, her fetching sticks, him throwing them, racing with her along the fence line together. He'd taken her back to the manor to show his father, but Lucius hadn't taken to her well, he disliked the mess that Draco was covered in, he disliked the dog, and with a quick flick of his wand, a green flash the dog lay still. Draco didn't understand, he started crying, Lucius slapped him and told him that 'Malfoy's don't cry' and had then dragged him to the basement. He even told a house elf on the way to dispose of the trash by the back door, Lucius then locked Draco in the basement, in total darkness Draco had been terrified, he'd curled up in a ball and cried, and eventually fallen asleep on the cold stone.

The next day he had a terrible fever and Lucius refused to help him, the only reason he'd survived was due to one of the house elves, Dobby, who'd given him a tonic when Lucius wasn't looking to help cool down the fever.

Draco sat up, with tears in his closed eyes, he'd named that dog Ghost, she'd been his best friend for a day and then she'd been murdered in cold blood.

He opened his eyes and looked around, not recognising where he was for a moment, then remembering he'd been studying in the library for his NEWT's at the end of the year, six months away. He had some uncomfortable cramps in his shoulder, back and neck due to the unfortunate circumstance of sleeping in one of the library's wooden chairs. Draco sighed and looked out the window at the dark sky, he wondered why he hadn't been kicked out, then he remembered the dark circles under his eyes that were a constant reminder of his nightmares, at the end of the war he'd given up appearances, letting his hair grow out, which he was surprised to find, he actually prefered over the short hair he used to have. Draco also didn't bother with glamours, who would he be trying to impress anyway?

Draco shivered and hugged his arms around himself, and he watched as an owl flew away from its perch outside the window, somehow able to hear the swoosh of its wings through the thick glass. He continued to gaze through the window looking at the stars,  he can just make out his constellation shining down at Hogwarts and it reminds him of when he'd been told to memorise its whereabouts by his mother, she'd said it'd be a good way to make girls like him. He scoffed at it now, he had told Harry he didn't know his sexuality but in truth, he was gay, he has pretty much always known he was gay, from the moment Crab and Goyle had started talking about how pretty girls looked and whether they prefered bust or booty, whenever a similar topic had come up between them Draco had pretended to care, nodding in the appropriate places while lusting after the unattainable Harry Potter.

Although Draco had, had a crush on Harry since his second year at Hogwarts, he hadn't realised it was a crush until his fourth year when he'd seen Harry risk his life in the Tri-Wizard Tournament. The nervousness he'd felt when he saw Harry trying to get the egg from the dragon, or when he'd been nearly scared to death when Harry had been late coming back from the lake or how he was terrified when Harry had entered the Maze, or when had returned from the maze, sobbing over Cedric's body.

He probably started in the denial stage because he'd noticed when Harry's had looked at Cho, the Ravenclaw seeker, it had made him so jealous but he had hidden it pretty well behind a few snide remarks.

Draco lifted the messaging device off the table and carefully read through the messages Harry and him had sent one another to reassure himself that it was real. 

He glanced at the mark on his arm and cringed, he hated it, he hated Voldemort, he hated his mother but most of all he hated his father, for never letting him be a child, for forcing him into the perfect Malfoy mould he had created for Draco. His knuckles turned white as he clenched his fist. Then he slowly unclenched his fist and flexed his fingers, before typing a few short words; Harry? r u awake?  perfect, it didn't reveal how much he wanted to talk to the Gryffindor.

Was he really going to do this, according to the library clock it was 5:30 am, would he even be awake?

Yes, I am after all, still primarily a selfish Slytherin.

He hit send.

And Harry replied almost instantly.

______________________________

SlyFerret|: Harry? r u awake?

BendyMan|: ahh, yes? y?

____________________________

this is the other side :D

it's not fair, i'm writing a book for a competition and i write maybe 300 words in a few hours while doing a few other things, and that's on a good day and i need to reach 50k and yet somehow i can write 900 on this in less than 2 hours? 

xxxx
vote
xxxx