Seventeen - Stomachaches

"So are you, like, boyfriends then?" I asked Ray, who shrugged.

It was Wednesday, and I hadn't seen Gerard at all yesterday. He hadn't texted me, either, which was kind of odd, but I didn't think much of it, knowing that I'd see him today.

Ray didn't reply as he pushed open the door to the music room, smiling a little as his eyes fell on Mikey. But the smile faded when he saw Pete beside him, looking at something on his laptop. I glanced at Billie Joe, who was shooting death glares towards Pete, and Tré beckoned Ray and I over.

"What the fuck does he think he's doing?" Billie Joe hissed, as the two of us sat with them, and my eyes flickered to Ray, who was staring into space.

It was obvious to anyone who knew Pete that he was flirting with Mikey Way, but I couldn't decipher whether Mikey was returning it or not. It would be ridiculous if he was, but either way, it was clearly hurting Ray.

"Are you gonna tell Patrick?" Mike asked, and Billie Joe gaped at him, his eyebrows shooting up.

"Are you kidding? How do you tell your friend that his boyfriend has been flirting with his music teacher?" He shook his head.

"Don't tell Brendon, then." Tré said. "You know what Brendon's like regarding those two."

"Hey, why are we over here?" Pete's voice floated towards us, and he sauntered over, sliding into a seat beside Billie Joe.

"We wanted to sit with these guys." I said, not wanting a fight to start.

The rest of the lesson followed in near-enough silence, which was okay for Billie Joe, Mike and Tré, because they were working with each other and talking among each other. But for Pete, Ray and I...it was just awkward.

After music was art, which was shit in itself, but I had Patrick, who was still overjoyed about finally getting with Pete, and Brendon, who was in his own world (for once). Actually, thinking about it, it was better than having Pete and Ray - no offence to either, because they're lovely, but y'know.

Gerard seemed off, not his usual smirking self as we walked in. He didn't even look at me, keeping his eyes on his desk. Once everyone was sat down, looking at him intently, he sighed, standing up. He leaned against his desk, pushing his hair back from his face with his pale, spidery fingers.

"I have some news for you guys, but you're not gonna like it." He half-smiled, folding his arms. "Actually, I think most of you will like it."

"What is it?" A girl at the front asked, and he bit his lower lip.

"I've been offered a job at an art college in New York." My heart sank dramatically. "And they want me to start after Christmas."

Christmas. Fucking Christmas. It was gonna sound selfish - and I didn't want that - but I didn't want him to go. It was in New York. Just when I get something worthwhile from this godforsaken place, just when I finally start to fit in - with him - it gets taken away from me.

"Are you gonna take the job?" Someone else asked, and he looked down at his feet.

"I am."

In the seconds after he'd said that he'd gotten a job offer, I only considered it as a possibility. But when the confirmation fell from his lips, I just felt numb. It was pathetic, I knew it, but I didn't care. He was just a teacher, but...he meant a lot to me, I guess. I hit my head on the desk, sighing. Shut up, Frank.