Thirty-nine - Is It Hard To Stay Clean?

"And wash your hair." Brendon demanded, pushing me into the bathroom and closing the door.

I rolled my eyes, dumping my clothes on the closed lid of the toilet and locking the door. Shower, Brendon said. You stink, Brendon said. Wow, thanks friend.

I turned the shower on and began to undress, waiting for the water to heat up before stepping beneath the spray. It was Friday, the night of the dreaded dance, and I'd realised pretty early on that nothing I said would get me out of going. I could've jumped out of a second-floor window and broken my foot, and they still would make me go.

There was an array of shower gels, which wasn't surprising, because this was Brendon. Strawberry, vanilla, some weird passion fruit shit, lemon... Shrugging, I picked up the lemon one and washed myself, figuring that Gerard wouldn't mind the smell. I washed my hair with some random shampoo - smelling like a girl in the process - and then when I was done, I turned the shower off, grabbed a towel, and wrapped it around my waist.

I quickly got dressed into black skinny jeans, a black shirt and a red tie before heading into Brendon's room. Ryan was there, and he sat me down in his desk chair. He dried my hair and pinned my hair back away from my face, going over to his desk to pick up some makeup.

"What are you doing to me?" I asked, frowning.

"Making you look good." He smiled. "Close your eyes."

I did as I was told, trying not to frown as he applied what felt like eyeshadow to my eyelids. I opened my mouth to speak but was hit on the back of the head by someone that wasn't Ryan.

"Thanks for that, Brendon." I muttered, and he chuckled.

"Lookin' hot, Frankie." He said, and Ryan 'tsk'ed. "What? You're doing a great job, babe."

"Well saved." I said.

"Open your eyes." I did so, and Ryan handed me an eyeliner pencil. "Do your eyeliner."

I leaned forward, peering into the mirror as I applied the eyeliner. "If you make me poke my eye out," I said, aware of the ridiculous faces I was making. "I will kill both of you."

Once that was done, I assessed my makeup. Ryan had used a dark purple-black eyeshadow around my eyes, and eyeliner filled it in. It looked pretty cool, to be honest. Ryan then straightened my hair so my fringe flopped over my right eye, and he squirted a light layer of hairspray on it. He held his hand out and Brendon passed him the mask. It was black and red, and it was really cool, with a string of elastic to hold it in place. He secured it to my face, making sure my hair was over it, and he smiled proudly.

"There!" He ruffled my hair a little, turning to Brendon. "Doesn't he look awesome?"

"He looks awesome." The other guy agreed. "C'mon, let's go."

They were already ready, and by this time, Patrick and Pete were outside, so the three of us climbed into Pete's car. We got to the school in less than ten minutes, the five of us walking in together, and my eyes immediately searched for Gerard.

He was stood by the wall, wearing a suit and tie, looking irresistible. His mask was yellow with various red and blue patterning, and if it wasn't for the hair, I probably wouldn't have recognised him. I followed the others towards the punch bowl, getting a drink and gazing longingly towards my boyfriend. His eyes met mine across the room, and I smiled over the rim of my cup, watching him.

We'd been there for half an hour before couples began to migrate towards the dance floor. The entire hall was made up to look like some kind of frozen palace, and it was beautiful. There was a band playing on the stage, but they were playing all sorts of soft classical music, easy to dance to.