Epilogue

[This is it, folks!]

It was Christmas Day, and I was at home, in my room, alone. My mom had invited me out with everyone else to go and visit my gran or some shit, but I'd declined, feeling too full of loneliness and self-pity to bother.

It was Christmas, and I was sad. Well that was new.

It wasn't long after two in the afternoon when the doorbell rang. I was in my room, like I'd been for the duration of the day, and I groaned upon hearing the sound. It would probably be the postman, or someone next-door, nobody important. So I ignored it.

I wanted Gerard to be here, keeping me company, maybe taking advantage of the empty house, maybe just lying on my bed and talking to me. But he was in New York. He'd promised me he'd Skype me later, but that wasn't the point. He wasn't here.

My phone buzzed beside me, and my heart leaped. Hoping that it was Gerard, I grabbed it, but it was only Ray.

Ray: Open the door, asshole.

I frowned, getting up and heading downstairs, towards the front door. When I opened it, Ray and Mikey were there, and I felt a pang as I saw that they were holding hands.

"How long does it take you to open the door?" Ray grinned, and I rolled my eyes.

"What's up? It's Christmas, shouldn't you be making out underneath mistletoe or some shit?"

"Come with us." Mikey said, and my eyes narrowed.

"Why?"

"Just do it." Ray grabbed my hand, and I barely had time to shut the door before I was being bundled into Mikey's car.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"My apartment." Mikey replied.

"Why?"

"You'll find out."

As Mikey drove, I twisted my promise ring around my finger, thinking about Gerard and the ring I'd bought for him. It was similar to mine, and I'd be promising him most of the same things as he'd promised me. Then we'd match. Then we'd both have promised.

Soon, he pulled up outside an apartment block, and I followed he and Ray into the building. I tripped up several stairs, which made them laugh, but eventually I ended up in an apartment. Mikey's apartment. I was led through several rooms, and Mikey stopped by a door.

"Gerard, being the idiot he is, forgot to give you his present." He said, gesturing to the door. "It's in there."

I walked into the room, which was pretty much pitch black, and I raised my hand to turn the light on. But larger, rougher ones brushed it away and cupped my face. And before I could scream or rip myself away, a low voice said, "You got mistletoe above your head, sugar.", and then I was being kissed.

My heart jumped into my throat as I heard that voice, as I felt those lips on my own, and I smiled into the kiss. I reached up to touch him, to make sure he was real, but he moved away, breaking the kiss and lowering his hands. And then the lamp on the nightstand was turned on, and I gasped.

Gerard was sat, cross-legged, on a bed, a Santa hat perched on top of his flaming hair. His chest and feet were bare, fluffy red pants with white trim on his legs, and in front of him was a bowl of melted chocolate and a bowl of strawberries. He grinned when I laid eyes on him, moving the bowls and placing them on the other nightstand just in time for me to run over and tackle him to the bed.