Thirty-four - I'll Never Let Them Hurt You

Trigger warning for mention of self-harm and suicide in this chapter ❤️

Friday came much too quickly, and Gerard turned up at my house at six o'clock, wearing extremely tight jeans, a t-shirt, a leather jacket and a nervous expression on his face.

"You look perfect. Don't worry." I smiled, but Gerard still didn't look convinced. "Look," I leaned closer to him, glad that the front door was closed. "all you have to do is be yourself, and the rest will fall into place."

"What if they don't like me?" He said, and I ran a hand through his hair.

"It doesn't matter, because I love you." I kissed his cheek, taking his hand. "C'mon. They'll think we're having sex or something."

I led him into the house, where my mom, stepdad and Jodie were gathered, waiting to meet my boyfriend. They looked up when we walked in, me holding Gerard's hand tightly. Their eyes landed on him, looking him up and down, scrutinising and most probably judging him.

"Mom, Arnie, Jodie, this -" I gestured proudly to Gerard. "- is Gerard. He's my boyfriend."

Arnie - my stepfather - was the first to stand, holding out his hand for Gerard to shake. "Arnie Palmer; Frank's stepfather."

Gerard shook his hand, still seeming nervous. "Pleasure to meet you, Sir." He said.

He shook my mom's hand and even Jodie's, looking between them with what appeared to be uncertainty. Mom offered him a drink, wine, a coffee, a glass of water, and I think I was the only one who saw him wince at the mention of alcohol.

"I'll just have a glass of water, please." He said politely, but his hand tightened around mine.

"Of course. Do sit down."

Gerard and I lowered ourselves into the couch opposite Arnie and Jodie, the latter smirking smugly at me like she knew something I didn't, and the former leaning forward, clasping his hands together.

"So, Gerard." Arnie said, pronouncing my boyfriend's name slowly and meticulously. "Frank tells us you've got an...interesting job."

He shot me a playful glare, to which I responded with a grin, and he exhaled. "It does get interesting, yeah. Especially when people ask for more than they've paid for."

Arnie nodded, and then Jodie twirled a lock of hair around her index finger. "I like your hair, Gerard." She said, and my eyes narrowed.

Gee blushed, hiding behind said hair. "Um. Thank you."

Mom returned then, with a glass of water for Gerard and two mugs of something for herself and Arnie. Jodie huffed and went into the kitchen, coming back with a can of soda for herself.

"Dinner will be about an hour, that okay?" Mom said, and Gerard nodded.

He looked like he felt uncomfortable, so I decided to stand, pulling him up with me. "We're going upstairs." I told my mom, practically dragging him upstairs with me. "I'm so sorry." I said, once the door was closed.

"It's okay. Honest. I've just...never had to do this before." He sat on the edge of my bed, placing the glass of water on my nightstand. "Come here. Lie with me."

He lay back and I did too, curling up beside him. He slipped his hand up my shirt, pressing kisses to my cheek and trailing them down to my neck. I held my breath when he ran his nose through my hair, stopping by my ear.

"If your mom and stepdad weren't downstairs, I'd fuck you so hard right now." He whispered, and I shivered.

"You're meant to be nervous, you asshole." I replied, and he chuckled.