Forty - We'll Say Goodbye Today

I opened the door and stepped inside the classroom, closing and locking it behind me as my eyes fell on Gerard. A smile graced my lips as I took him in, and he gave me a grin of his own.

His tie was loose, each end dangling either side of his neck and resting on his white shirt. Several buttons of his shirt were undone, the sleeves rolled up to his elbows, and his jacket lay on the back of his chair. He was leaning against the desk, his arms folded, one leg crossed over the other at the ankle. And his mask was off, placed on his desk.

I walked over to him and sat on the desk in front of him, tilting my head to the side a little. "You wanted to see me, Mr Way?" I asked, batting my eyelashes.

He pushed himself off the desk and stepped towards me, separating my legs and standing between them. "I did." He replied, his arms still folded.

"What for?"

He leaned forward, brushing his lips against mine. "I got you a present." He went over to his desk, pulling a small box from one of the drawers and walking back to me. He opened the box, and inside was a small silver ring. "I'm not proposing, don't worry." I breathed the tiniest sigh of relief. "It's a promise ring. It's my promise to you that if I'm in New York, or New Mexico, or even New South Wales, and you're not by my side..." He took a deep breath. "...I will always love and be faithful to you, no matter what." He took my left hand and slipped the silver band on my ring finger. "Because I'm leaving tomorrow, and I know that you're worried I'm gonna find someone else, but I won't. I can't promise never, but I can promise the foreseeable future, and as long as we're together, I will love you. And I genuinely think I will love you forever. You're everything to me."

He raised my hand to his lips and he kissed the back of it, a smile forming. I felt tears welling up in my eyes, and when I spoke, my voice shook. "Jesus Christ Gerard, are you trying to kill me?"

He blinked, faking innocence. "No, why?"

I threw my arms around his neck and hugged him tighter than I ever had before, my heart beating fast. It ached; I didn't want him to go, not having him around for six months would be agony. And then suddenly his mouth was on mine and we were kissing with some kind of urgency that I'd never encountered before. We were desperate. We didn't know how much time we had left because the hours were ticking away, I could feel it, and soon it would be time to say goodbye for several weeks, maybe even months.

"I love you," he murmured, kissing my neck. "I love you so much...fuck, I need you -"

"C'mon - your place." I said, and he didn't hesitate in grabbing my hand and pulling me from the room and the school.

As soon as we got to his and the front door was shut, he grabbed my hand and pulled me into the front room. Leaving the lights off, he picked up a rose from a bunch lying around on one of the side tables, putting the stem between his teeth like in those cheesy movies, and he placed his free hand on my waist.

He began to lead me around the room, grinning around the rose, dancing much more intimately with me than he had at school. My hand was on his upper arm as we danced chest-to-chest, our eye-contact never breaking. Oh my God, I loved him so much.

He tipped me back after several minutes, pressing his lips against mine and allowing me to take the stem of the rose between my teeth. We straightened up and he twirled me around, grinning, and he started to hum a random slow-dance tune. I loved his voice, even when humming - it was fucking amazing, the kind of voice that would calm you down when you were mad or upset, the kind of voice that would lull you to sleep, the kind of voice that would make you feel safe.