ONE

➖ONE➖

"-I told you, I was going to come next month, right?" Larry asked, taking the last step on the stairs, his flops making a loud echoing sound on the polished tiles as he stepped into his enormous and extravagantly furnished living room.

With a hand tucked in one pocket of his ash Nike sweatpants and the other holding his iPhone X to his ears, Larry let his legs lead him outside his house, into his big compound, he let his eyes scan the familiar environment and listen to his mother talk.

"Who?"

"You know, Laurent," His mother said.

"Laurent? Who's that?" The name sounded familiar but Larry couldn't exactly place who it belonged to.

"Come on, Larry. Don't tell me you've forgotten your cousin Laurent, Aunt May's son," His mother said disappointedly. "You two played together as kids."

"Oooh..." Larry drew on.

Laurent, Laurent, Laurent, how did he look like? Larry thought, trying to match a face to the name.

"Larry! You two were inseparable! And everyone thought you were twins because of how much you looked alike."

"Oh, yeah! Laurent!" Larry nodded. He remembered him now.

Laurent, his cousin, the guy who always called him 'Lar' when they were kids.

"You remember him now?"

"Yes, sorry," He shook his head, resuming his stroll around his house - or to be more on point, estate. It was expected for a person of Larry's status to live in a wealthy place. Being worth 869 million dollars was a lot. "So, what about him? Is he okay?"

"Yes, and no."

Larry furrowed his brows in confusion, picking a pebble from the fire place close to his swimming pool. "What?"

"Well, physically he's fine. He's not sick, but emotionally and mentally he's down."

"I don't understand."

"He isn't in the right state."

"Does he have a mental issue?"

"Oh, no, he's sane. Perfectly sane. Just he's not good."

Larry sighed. "Mum, go straight to the point, please. You're confusing me."

"Okay. He needs help."

"Help with? Medical help?"

"He doesn't have a job."

"You should have just said that, mum," Larry shook his head.

"I enjoy messing with you."

"God, mum, stop, please," Larry pinched his nose bridge.

"Okay, okay," His mother laughed.

"So what are you saying?"

"Sweetheart, he needs your help. He didn't ask me to tell you, this is me telling you myself. Ijust hate to see such a promising, young, fine man waste in the streets of Sarcelles. I just can't stand it," She complained. "Laurent would make it if he had the opportunity."

"Has he searched for a job around there in France?" Larry asked, taking a sit on the pool chair.

"So many times."

"And he was rejected? Why?"

"Larry, does it matter? You run the biggest gaming company in all of Europe and America. Can't you just give him a job?"

"It doesn't work like that, mum."

"Then tell me."

Larry sighed. "It's more complicated than that. There are procedures to follow and people in charge of employing and if he doesn't qualify, he won't get the job. It would be a waste coming here then. Okay, even if I decide to give him a job, what type of job can he perform? Does he know anything about graphics, programming, hacking? Does he know how to write games? Stories? Does he know what it-"

"Anything. Give him anything. He'll do it. Make him start at the bottom. Laurent is the most humble person I have ever met and he would be fine with anything, just as long as he's busy. Please, baby."

Larry shut his eyes tight. Helping people from home was always a mistake! Three times in the last 4 years and they all stole from him. He didn't trust them anymore. People from home were always ungrateful and selfish.

"Please, Larry baby. He's like your own brother. Please. Laurent is too good to be here, doing nothing. Plus he's really hardworking, you won't regret it. Okay?"

He already foresaw himself regretting it. But he could never refuse his mother, even if she brought back those thieves and asked for them to work in his company again. Larry would take them back, only because it was his mother.

"Okay. When is he coming?"

This was a mistake already, Larry thought.

-

Please read and tell me what you think about this book.

The chapters over time will get longer.

I hope you enjoy and vote.