TEN

➖TEN➖

The next day Laurent's mood was down for the entirety of it. The reason was because Jane was starting her maternity leave the next day.

"Just see it as a temporary promotion," Jane encouraged him, not fully aware of the reason behind his sadness. "You'll be Mr Bourgeois' assistant until I'm back."

Laurent remained silent.

Jane didn't quite understand why he was acting like this. How could she? The reasons were swimming in his head, yet he felt embarrassed to even think about them.

"Aww, Laurent," Jane squeezed his arm. "You'll do great."

He'll do terrible! Horrible! Bad!

He was going to be working directly under Larry! The same Larry he jerked off to the precious day! That Larry! With the amount of time Jane spent in Larry's office discussing, following him to meetings, Laurent didn't think he could survive it.

Why had he walked in on Larry and Mr Francis!? He should have knocked! No! He should have minded his own damn business and left Larry to starve!  After all Larry was used to it! But, no, he was Laurent, father to all, the caregiver, the nice man of the family and his heart pained to think his cousin wasn't eating while everyone ate, so he had gone ahead to order food and got himself in this stupid mess that would eventually send him back to France!

"Hey, relax," Laurent felt a squeeze on his wrist, as he turned to find Jane staring at him. "You're making a fist, plus you look like you want to kill someone."

Oh, non one, only myself, Laurent thought to himself.

"Sorry."

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah," Laurent nodded. "I have to pee."

Laurent got up and hurried to the toilet.

-

"I'll go say goodbye to Mr Bourgeois," Jane said as the day ended.

"Okay."

15 minutes later, Jane walked out chuckling as she shut the door behind her.

"Mr Bourgeois wants to see you," She said going to pick her bag.

Laurent looked around. "Me?"

"Yeah, you. Every other person left, remember?"

Laurent let out a shaky breath, he should have just worked as a cleaner.

"So, I'll be on my way now, Laurent. Take care of yourself, okay?"

Laurent walked to her and gave her a hug. "You too. Be safe, Jane. And I going for call you, okay?"

"Yeah. You'll do well here, I know it."

Laurent nodded and pulled away. "Go now."

"Mmh," Jane said before waving and walking off.

Laurent headed to Larry's office, hesitating at the door. His heart was racing. Why!?

He knocked twice lightly.

"Yes?"

Laurent gathered courage briefly then walked in.

"You send for me?"

"Yes," Larry didn't look away from his computer. "Please sit."

Laurent slowly obeyed and soon he was sat across from Larry, feeling overly intimidated!

Loud taps on the keyboard and the soft sound of the aircon were the only sounds in the room, plus the loud beating of Laurent's heart which he was certain was louder than Larry's clicking.

A loud click was heard and soon Larry let out a sigh. "Okay!" Then turned to face Laurent.

Laurent was not able to balance his gaze on Larry so he looked away.

"So, uh, Jane is on maternity leave and won't be back for another 5 months. That leaves you-" Larry furrowed his brows at Laurent. "Are you okay?"

"Yes!" Laurent answered rather quickly.

"Then why are you shifting too much? Is that chair not comfortable for you?"

"Non, sorry. Go on."

Larry paused for a bit, still observing Laurent's inability to look at him for longer than 2 seconds.

"Are you sure?"

Laurent nodded, looking down at his laps.

"Look at me," Larry said, causing Laurent to look at him then away. "Look at me."

Laurent tried looking at Larry but his eyes were sharp, and the way one of his brows was lifted up at the corner, he looked down.

"Laurent," Larry called sternly, his gaze unblinking from Laurent. "I'm asking- no, I'm ordering you to look at me now!"

Laurent had to fight with his inner nervousness, to look at Larry but again meeting that gaze, he was tempted to look away.

"And don't look away," Larry ordered.

Larry's gaze was intense, like he was trying to intimidate Laurent. The way he looked at him, Laurent was almost forced to believe Larry might be aware of the effect he was starting to have on him.

"Like I was saying, Jane isn't coming back for months and that leave you - don't look away," Larry warned. "That leaves you as my assistant until she comes back. You'll do all she did and that means us spending a lot of time together. You get?"

"Y-Yes."

Larry stretched out his hand, with a wide smile that almost looked sarcastic, teasing maybe. "Let's work hard together."