(23) Telling Riddles

"Ok, I'm going to tell riddles," I said after being on the horse carriage for about ten minutes. I really miss my phone. That's the only disadvantage being in the past. Wait, no, how can I forget? No phone and the number one reason: no indoor plumbing restroom.

   Trust me, it's worse than portable restrooms, because portable restrooms aren't used often. I can always get back to the lovable indoor plumbing bathroom at home. Now that it's ancient China, home restroom is a portable toilet.

   Ok, I need to stop thinking about it. It makes me sadder the more I think about not being able to use a toilet that can flush.

   I looked up at Landon and saw that he was smiling at me. It wasn't a polite smile. He looks like he's laughing at me. "What?" I asked. What's so funny? I didn't make any weird expressions when I thought about portable toilets, did I?

   "So, you still didn't forget to tell me some riddles, huh?" He looks like he's trying to hold in a laugh.

   "But," I looked almost pouting, "I like riddles."

   "Ok, ok, tell your riddle. I'll listen with all my heart," he said.

   The way he said it sounded almost sarcastic.

   How could he? He's making fun of riddles. I thought he was nice. I thought you were finally nice for once, Landon. I guess he's still him.

   "How many bananas can you eat if your stomach's empty?" I asked my first riddle.

"None,"

"How come?"

"I don't like bananas."

"Let's say you do for the purpose of this riddle," I laughed.

"The answer is still none," he said

"What? Why?"

"I'm allergic to bananas."

Ok, I never knew Landon could be this funny. For the first time since the seven days I spent at his house, I had a good laugh. I guess he got influence by my laughing and laughed too.

   "Ok, the correct answer is..."

   "One. Because after eating the banana, you're not on an empty stomach anymore," he finished my answer for me.

   "How did you know?"

   "If it's a riddle, then the answer's not the first one that you think of. If that is so, then you have to think carefully. That's what I did and came up with that conclusion."

   Well, he's definitely a lot smarter than me. Thinking carefully doesn't help me come up with the answer to a riddle. I mean, unless it's super easy.

   We talked a little after that and told more riddles. Then I felt the carriage come to a stop. Landon looked at me, "We're here."

   I was about to step out when Landon stopped me and went out first. Shouldn't it be ladies first? I almost couldn't believe Landon would do this. It's not that I'm mad or anything because Landon didn't let me get out first. I'm just surprised that a gentlemen like him wouldn't let ladies go first.

   But it doesn't really matter. I pushed the curtains aside and saw Landon standing by the steps under the carriage, his hand reached out towards me.

   Oh...

   I misunderstood Landon. He went out first because he needs to help me out the carriage. I gave him my hand as I walked down the steps. His hand is warm, like his smile as I walked down the stairs.

   I'm made of glass. You are my heart; without you, I'll shatter.

   A sharp piece poked my heart. That wasn't Old Man's voice. It was someone else's. It sounded like...almost like...Landon's.