(57) Accusation

My heart almost jumped out of my throat. I really don't appreciate being scared like that so continuously. I scowled when I saw who it was. I especially don't appreciate the same person scaring me like that. Part of me was angry at him. He was the sane guy that had talked against Landon, caught me last night, and now, he's going to stop Landon from receiving the life extending pill. Why is he doing this? I thought he was against Landon. Why would he care if I did put something in the Lieutenant General's water? Not like it's anything harming him, on the contrary, I was helping Landon.

   But that fury rising in my chest was only a tenth of the fear that's clawing me. I'm scared that I've failed. I've failed Landon, again. Panic is racing through me. No, I'm not going to let this happen. I won't. Please, don't happen. Don't let me fail.

   I swallowed, trying to moisten my throat so my voice wouldn't come out cracked. "Why shouldn't he?" I countered the man.

"Lieutenant General, that person has put something in your drink!" The man pointed at me with as much accusation in his eyes as I've ever seen directed at me before.

I don't know if this was normal, but my breathing hiccuped, and my stomach flipped. I knitted my brows and turned to Landon. "Lieutenant General, I..." I started, But was cut off by Landon.

   "Aren't you the one that spoke poorly about me yesterday?" Landon narrowed his eyes at the man.

The man seemed a little caught off guard at being asked that question, but he quickly furrowed his brows, "Yes, but I, I saw him drop something in your bottle, Lieutenant General. Though I spoke foully to you, but I would never have intentions of harming you. This boy, however, does. I saw with my own eyes!"

"But do you have proof?" I quickly asked him. I tried to keep my voice low, despite the anguish rushing in me. The worse thing right now is talk shrilly and get myself exposed.

Please don't have picked up the crumpled paper that I threw casually away. I silently hoped. Please. Please don't.

"I saw!" He's getting anxious.

"But that won't mean anything until you give proof. You can say that you saw, but who really knows? You might as well be plotting against me," I said, trying my best to keep the shakiness in my voice unnoticed.

"Yes, at that, Tang Cha is right," Landon backed me up.

I looked at him. How did he know my name? Well, I mean, I haven't told him my name as the medical helper, though I obviously had as his Cha'er. But I guess that wouldn't matter.

"I...I..." the man stuttered. He seemed confused. He looks like he's realizing that he might not win this accusation.

The panic is slowing inside me. So, he might not have picked up the wrapper. Ok, fake warning, good.

Suddenly, he looked up. "I don't have anything physical with me, but if the bottle isn't poisoned, then pour it out!"

My heartbeat strained in my chest. I can physically feel it. Pour it out...

Landon's life depends on it! Pour it out? Ridiculous! But that's the only way to prove my innocence.

A few soldiers heard the commotion and are gathering around, but we were mainly in a more deserted part of the camp. The Great General is on the other side of the camp out, but it wouldn't be long until he catches on what's going on. I need to end this quick, proving my innocence without killing Landon. But that's impossible! The only way to get me out of this mess is abandoning Landon's life! But I can't, I can't just do this to him.

There has to be another way. There has to be.

I feel so helpless. Why does he think I would have any reason to harm Landon? It's all this man's fault. Life's stressful enough without him stirring up more trouble. Why would he ever think I would poison Landon? For Pete's sake, I did so much so I could keep Landon from getting killed. I would drink poison for Landon if I have to, not that I'll really die. Old Man did promise that he wouldn't let me die.

Wait.

"Pour the water out! What are you hesitating about? See? You did put something in. That's why you're not pouring it out!"

Landon looked at me, undecided about what to do. Seeing that I don't have a response, he pulled open the lid.

That's it!

I snatched the bottle from Landon, and, under Landon's bewildered gaze, I drank the water. I tried not to drink too much, so he could get the full three days extension effect.

The man seemed about to say something else but was stopped by my action. His mouth just retained it position of trying to say something. Landon looked at me, confusion and worry glazed his eyes.

I lowered the bottle. "There. That's a better proof." I quickly explained, "If I'd pour it out, it would say nothing about my innocence. I could have still put something in there. Drinking it, is my best way of proving my loyalty to the Lieutenant General."

I swelled with relief and pride. I don't think I've been put under more stressful situations, not even when studying for exams, and I don't think I could've done better at the time.

The man just resigned to gawking at me.

I smiled at the man, almost smugly, "What do you have to say now?" I definitely felt smug.

Everyone's eyes turned to the man.

"I...I..." the man was left speechless. "But I did——"

"Enough!" Landon said. "I gave you a warning last time, but it seems like a warning isn't enough. Starting tomorrow, you will pull one of the carts."

   "Lieutenant General!" The man protested, but Landon would hear nothing of it.

   "It's about time to start traveling again." Then, addressing the small group of soldiers that had gathered around, he told them to get ready for more walking.

   The soldiers obeyed and dispersed, including the man, though not happily.

   Landon then turned to me, gently taking the bottle from my hands and putting the lid back on. He looked up from the bottle and offered me a slight trace of a smile.  My stomach flutter, and I got excited for some reason and anticipated what he's going to say.

   "Tang Cha, you should get ready for the walk too."

   I can't lie. I was a little disappointed, but I did as told. "Yes, Lieutenant General."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Author's Note: There, not a cliff hanger. Are you pleased now, my dear rain droplets? Or are you the opposite and prefer cliff hangers?
Does anyone want to share an afterthought of the mini crisis?