(36) Fake

"Since we have our contract made, we can return to being friends," Zichen faked a smile that looked real, but I know it's fake.

   "Sure," I replied sarcastically. I'm sure we're going to be really great friends with your threat of killing someone I...er...am friends with anytime you like.

   My stomach, however, did not receive the message from my brain to hold self-respect right now importantly and started growling. Stomach, what's your problem? You just had dinner at seven, which is like...ok, so it's about two when I traveled here, so, it was seven hours ago. Ok, maybe that's a little long, but, still, at this moment!

   Zichen smiled politely, "Now, Cha'er, please don't starve yourself for me." He handed the chopstick to me.

   I looked at it, then at him. "No, I'm not hungry," I said against my stomach.

   His smile deepened. "Well, then, let's play chess."

   "Chess?" I asked, unsure that I've heard him right. "You mean, right now?"

   "Yes, chess. Right now will be fine," he answered as he walked towards the main room, where there is a chess board on the table. I always took it as a decoration, never really thinking of actually playing it.

   I sat down on one side of the chess board and Zichen the other. I don't think I'm too bad at chess, but after playing with Zichen, my self-confidence was beaten down.

   After resetting the chess board the sixth time because Zichen won, I was a little irritated. I looked elsewhere to find something else to do instead of playing this game that I suck at.

   No other choice I've made is ever so right.  I saw a zither. Right there, on the table by the window. Haha, when he has listened to my beautiful melody, he would be smart and leave me alone. I wouldn't stop until he leaves.

   "I'm no good at playing chess. How about I play the zither for you?" I asked and tried to look and sound as innocent as possible.

   Zichen's eyes creased, "I don't think I've heard you play the zither. Go ahead, let me hear it."

   I smiled broadly. Yeah, I'm happy too. Fall right into my trap, dummy. I sat down and put my hand on the zither, like on a piano. Then I stroke all the strings at once like a guitar. Back and forth, back and forth. Hey, it's actually kind of fun. I stroke it harder to make the noise louder. Hm, very satisfying. It's like hitting a pillow or stuffed animal. But, how isn't he gone yet? Isn't he irritated by the sound?

   The door burst open, and my hands stopped abruptly. But the strings still vibrated, making the sound last a few more seconds. I looked at the person at the doorway. It was Landon.

   "Chaer, what are you doing?" Landon looked confused.

   "Uh..." I looked at the zither in front of me. It felt comfortably familiar while I was playing, but under Landon's suspicious glance, I felt guilty for playing the zither so loud.

   I looked at Zichen. He held a calm face with a calm smile. He almost looked innocent. "Lan Deng, I was just stopping by to see your bride."

   How fake. His posture made me remember the horrible agreement we just made. Sorry, Landon, but I want you to live, so forgive my lie. "Landon, Zichen said he was bored since you were at breakfast, so he came to find me to play chess, but against him, I'm about as good at chess as a pig trying not to eat. So I suggested to play the zither for him."

   "Oh, really," Landon said. "Zichen, you just came by to visit me. You're bored again?"

   Zichen laughed, "Lan Deng, you know me. I'm always looking for interesting things, and your bride's skill at the zither, well, I can say, is quite interesting."

   "Where are the maids?" Landon asked.

   "They're out there doing, well, you know, what maids do," Zichen answered.

   Landon looked at Zichen silently. I wished that he kept on asking so he can figure out for himself that this so-called friend of his has betrayed him. No, not betrayed, because he never has been on Landon's side. He is a fake from the beginning.

   At last, Landon sighed and said, "Zichen, if you're ever bored and want to play chess, you can always come find me."

   Zichen smiled with his teeth showing. He patted Landon's back, saying, "That's what I always do."