(65) Cautions

About half an hour before we had arrived at the military base, Landon slowed down until we were a little behind the tail of the group. I was wondering why he slowed when he started first, "Tang Cha, we are about to arrive."

   Well, I know that.

   "At the base, I cannot see you as often. The rules are strict, and, if possible, I don't want you to come find me." There was a pause, and the air has solidified into something serious. Then his eyes softened for a flick second. "Stay at the medical tent and follow what the doctor asks. Be careful of your actions." The more he talks, the lighter his voice becomes. "This is a battlefield, and everyone will be on their guards. I need you to be on yours, too. I will try to visit you as often as possible, but if you ever encounter anything, and I am not there, show them this." Landon's voice was so light now that I didn't even know if he was talking anymore, but I understand him clearly. At least, clearly enough.

And I don't exactly like what he's saying. What does he mean he doesn't want me to go find him? Doesn't he know that if I don't go find him and give him the pill, he'll die?! Wait, actually, he doesn't know. And he also doesn't know when he can visit me. What if he doesn't come find me for more than three days?

   Something hard slid into my hands, and I looked aside to him. Fiery questions and pleads were on my lips and are fighting to fall out. I moved my sleeves so it was covering the object he just handed me and asked, "Lan...Lieutenant General, can you at least visit me every three days?" I kept my voice as low as possible.

He was silent for a few scary seconds. "I will," he finally answered. His voice was soft but determined and settled uneasily. It was as if he wanted to promise me that, but he didn't know if he could do it. But despite the doubt, he will see that it goes as he wishes anyway. It was a sort of doubting determination.

   Following the cautions and without delay, Landon mounted his horse and directed it to walked in front of me. I took the chance to quickly slip the object into the folds of my clothes in front of my chest. I rested my hand on my chest and felt myself heave a sigh of relief. At least I'm keeping him alive. That's what's important. As long as he doesn't die, then I've twisted our fates, right? In the past life, Landon died because of me; now, I will do all that I can to keep him alive. In that way, our fates will be reversed, right?

Landon quickened the pace of his horse and returned to his position up front, near the Great General.

   I, thus, returned to the group of medical helpers.

   With each step that I take, the mood seemed to drop by a degree. The laughters and light talks of this morning is fading, replaced by something more real. This is what I should feel, I told myself.

   Upon arrival, a man in armor with a group of soldiers were awaiting the procession. When the man saw the Great General, he lowered his head in respect, "Subordinate Ding Yun," The man clasped his fist in his other palm and bowed on one knee. "Welcomes Great General!" The soldiers behind him followed his act, and welcomed the Great General in unison.

After that, the soldiers were led to elsewhere, while the medical group was led to a tent filled with the scent of herbs hanging in the air, mixed with a slight trace of blood, though no injured soldier was in the tent at the time. Directly behind the "operating tent," was the tent used to house the medical helpers. It's basically where we'll sleep. The beds were skinny and lined up angainst one wall.

Hmm, those look like the brown quilts we had on our way here.

The good news, I have arrived here in one piece and have kept Landon in one piece. So far.

The bad news, an indefinite number of days to go, trying to keep Landon and I in one piece.

********************************************
Author's Note: First of all, I am sorry I didn't get to post this part before the weekend ended.

Second of all, I am sorry again that this part is so short.

Third of all, because of testing coming up, I'll be on snail update mode.

Rain: "(as if the author were ever off of snail update mode)"

I am so so sorry. The updates will be slow, but it won't be crazy slow. I hope. I think. I'm pretty sure.

So anyway, on a happier note, does anyone want to guess what's going to happen? Hehe, it's predictable but not predictable. ╮(╯▽╰)╭