Mine

When I wake up, the very first thing I notice is that my eyepatch is missing. Sitting bolt upright, ignoring the throbbing in my head, I keep my left eye securely closed and my left hand over it until I spot the familiar bandage lying on the table beside me. Sighing in relief, I reach for it, then jerk my hand back in surprise as it's taken from the table before I can touch it.

"Oh, no, we can't have you putting that back on. Not when you have such pretty eyes."

"Oh fuck you!" I moan quickly, ripping the bandage from the nurse's hand and tying it around my eye, finally relaxing. It felt weird, almost wrong, to not wear it now.

"I don't believe we've been properly introduced," the nurse says, obviously offended as the corner of her mouth twitches, but still trying to remain civil, "My name's-"

"No. I don't want to know, I don't want to know you, I don't want to know anything about you. Please leave me," I say, lying back down on the soft pillow. The nurse was currently in my blind spot, and I didn't know what she was doing. Just then, the pillow was wrenched from under my head.

"I don't think you understand your place, you wench-"

"Excuse me...? Is this the room (Y/N) (L/N) is being treated?" a familiar, soft voice asked from the doorway. The pillow was quickly replaced under my head and the nurse shuffled around a bit, moving away.

"Yes, handsome. This is the room," the nurse purred, and I felt such an intense stab of anger and pity at the same time. Anger for her, pity for anyone who has to deal with her.

"I would appreciate it if you didn't call me that," Eijiro said, his voice now slightly lowered in irritation.

"Aww, but it's so true-"

I heard a yelp of surprise as Eijiro shouldered her aside and chuckled as he ducked around the curtain.

"How much did you hear?" he asks, grinning as he takes the empty seat beside my head, where I could see him.

"All that I needed to. Now get down here so I can kiss you, I'm too comfortable to move."

He happily obliged, leaning down towards me until our lips touched. A few seconds after we broke apart, the nurse came back around the curtain, looking both angry and victorious at the same time.

"You both have to leave on the grounds that you assaulted a staff member, and you were an accomplice," she says, and I feel her pointing at me as she said accomplice. Just then, a second pair of footsteps echoed down the hall and stopped at our door.

"Karen, you're fired. Get out," a rough, enraged voice says. Even the presence in the room alone was intimidating, and I hated to think of what it might be like if the man shouted. Karen squeaked in alarm and opened her mouth to argue, to accuse us of some heinous crime, until the man roared.

"GET OUT!"

Karen fled quickly after that.

~

The man actually turned out to be quite a nice man, standing in my vision even when there was a free chair on the other side of my bed and making me feel quite comfortable. His name was Levi. He told us that Karen started two days ago and had caused nothing but trouble, treating all the female patients like cattle and the male patients like kings. This was the first and the last time she had tried to kick someone out without authority or a justified reason.

"I'm sorry you had to go through that. Truth be told, I was going to fire her today anyway. Women like that can't do much good in a place like this," Levi says, shaking his head with his arms crossed. I sigh, closing my eye for a few seconds before opening it again and asking how long until I could be released.

"OH! I'm so sorry, that was what I meant to do! I got so caught up in talking to you I completely forgot!" he says, fumbling over a few words. I chuckle, telling him it's fine and that I also enjoyed our conversation. He smiles, lighting up his whole face, and I feel a bit fuzzy inside. Eijiro glances from my face to his and pouts, crossing his arms and pointedly avoiding eye contact with me. Sensing an opportunity, I smirk.

"Aww, is poor Eijiro jealous?" I tease, poking his arm jokingly.

"W-What? No, of course not-"

"I could tell you were lying from the stutter," I cut in, laughing. He tries to keep his grumpy face but fails and laughs along with me. Levi smiles again, not as broad this time but still warm and bright.

"You're allowed to leave now, if you like," he said, and I nodded. We stand up and, as we walk down to the front desk, he asks me why I wear the bandage over my eye if it's already healed.

"Because I'm not ready to take it off yet. If I do, I feel really unsafe and scared," I explain, and when I said the words unsafe and scared, Eijiro took my hand in his.

"I know, I'll always be safe with you around," I say as he opens his mouth. He closes it again and smiles, happy that I understand him so well. We get everything sorted out so that both of us can be released, then exit the building. Levi offers to drive us to Eijiro's home so we didn't have to walk, but we declined his offer, said goodbye, and walked away down the street.

"You really seem to attract trouble, you know?" Eijiro says, one hand clutching mine tightly and the other in his pocket.

"You sure it's not just you?" I reply, smiling. He grins at me and I feel a very strong, very sudden urge to hug him.

"Sooo... still up for going to the park?"

~

We spent the rest of the day in the park, relaxing and enjoying eachother's company, alone, for the first time in weeks. We were both laughing and recalling stories, both real and exaggerated, and went home in matching good moods. Eijiro decided to be an ass for once and not set up a separate bed for me so that I had to sleep in his with him.

"I'll sleep on the floor before I sleep with you," I scowl, crossing my arms and glaring at him. He was laughing evilly, dressed in only shorts. I was given pajamas, but since they also belonged to him, they were kind of big. I wouldn't let him see it, but I was embarrassed to even see him like this, let alone sleep with him like it.

"You already did it once though. Come on, pleeeaase?" he asks, making puppy dog eyes at me.

"Wait no what are you doing stop that," I scold, trying not to give in. He smirks for a second before returning to the puppy eyes.

"FINE!" I shout as he throws his arms up in victory.

"YAAYYY I WIN!!" he cries, wrapping his arms around my shoulders. I stiffen momentarily before hugging him back, burying my face in his shoulder. We kiss for a few seconds before lying down together, his arms wrapped tightly around me as I curl into him.

"You're mine, (Y/N)..." he whispers, so softly that I wasn't even sure he had said it, "And nobody will hurt you as long as I'm here..."