Chapter 3

I peer out of the view port on the starboard side of the shuttle, that is transporting us to the Helios and even from this distance you can see the size of the ISV. The Hyperion was small in comparison. It only carried a crew of thirty personnel, which the majority were scientists since it was supposed to be a peaceful exploration mission. Earth port orbits our home world, at almost the same distance as the moon. I haven't been up here in two years, though it looks the same.

The ISV Helios is a completely different ship. It's three times the size of its predecessor, and it carries a crew of one hundred eighty. As we get closer I can see the weapon systems around various positions on the ships hull. She is not an exploratory type vessel. She was built strictly for war, and taking the fight to the enemy; I will be honest with myself, as I have no illusions of our chances with the unknown foe. Especially when it comes to the technological difference between us. The enemy must have a far superior technical advantage over us; there is no way it could be explained. The dark shape in the screen is large! Really large!

We are out classed and probably out gunned! Our chances are slim for any type of success in this venture we have undertaken. I sit back and rest my head trying not put anymore thought, to our chances of survival. Mandy is sitting next to me and she is asleep, though she is still holding my hand. She's always been afraid of flying but especially space flights, and I can't blame her, it's not natural. I mean it's only a few inches of aluminum, insulation and heat shielding protecting us from the cold vacuum of space. Not very aw inspiring.

   We're suited up and all, but as I've said before if anything were to happen our survival rate is low. I look around and I'm glad that this is a military transport only, which means no Mindini to pester me in this flight. The suits com comes to life. [All personnel, we dock in fourty mikes; please secure any loose objects as we will begin yaw maneuver in ten mikes. That is all.]

Well, I'm good. All my crap is stowed away nice, as is Mandy's. I close my eyes and I feel myself drift off in the calm, quiet stillness of space. Then a sudden bump and clanking sounds brings me back, and I open my eyes peering out of the port window. I can't believe it, we're docked! What happened to fourty minutes! I really went to sleep. I turn to Mandy and she is already awake, smiling at my obvious state of confusion. "Come on Ant, it's time to go aboard the Helios." Unstrapping myself from the seat I float behind Mandy.

   At the shuttles hatch the deck officer motions for us all to stop. Twenty people pause, for the instructions that he has to give. "Ok sirs, the Helios has its grav system on; once you pass the through the hatch be prepared for that by going in feet first. That way you will hopefully land on your feet." He adds with a smirk on his face.

I watch as those in front of us go through the hatch and fall, for as best as can be described, on their assets. To the amusement of the deck officer and those waiting on the other side. Now, I've been in this situation before so when my turn comes up, and I grab the top part of the hatches frame pushing myself quickly slipping through the hatch dropping my feet fast and landing in a crouched position. I stand up on my own without any need of assistance, much to the surprise of the deck officer. "Was that good?" I ask in an innocent manner.

"Um... yes sir. That was fine." He answers not sure what else to say. Then Mandy comes through pulling the same maneuver as me. He just blinks and continues to help the rest off the shuttle.

Mandy catches up to me, as we both remove the helmets of our light EVA suits. "You show off." She says in a low voice, so no one around us can hear. "But I have to say, I enjoyed the look on his face. He's pretty new here too."

I glance at her and I smile. "You know, even back at the academy there were jerks just like him. I used to despise those type of guys, but the sweet irony is when I made first lieutenant, those fellas were still second lieutenants and now had to salute me." I chuckle at the memory of their faces the day I was promoted before them, even though they were senior to me. We finally reach the locker room and step in. We start to take off the suits and Mandy seems kind of quiet. "A penny for your thoughts."