Chapter 54

The next day I'm up early and walking the hallways of the palace, trying to learn it's layout well. I see one of the maids carrying laundry inclining her head, as we pass by each other. I didn't feel friendliness in her gaze, but I suppose that might be understood since their friend was killed for trying to kill me. Well I won't let that bother me. But, you know I get a nagging feeling that something is going to happen.

I pull a small mirror, about the size of a bottle cap that I've used to see around corners during the war on Earth. I hold it up to my face until I can see my eye, then I move my hand so I can just see over my shoulder. That's when I see the maid creeping up behind me with a Kahdir in her hand! I twist just in time, as she misses. But, she's fast and quickly turns toward me aiming for my gut I block her attack by crossing my arms in an X formation then capturing her arm!

Quickly I put her into an arm bar Kicking her ribs causing this maid to collapse; I bring her arm into my chest pulling the upper and lower arm in different directions! I force her face first to the ground and twist my upper body into her arm even more. I hear her wince in pain. I grit my teeth. "Drop the knife or I will take your arm home with me I swear!"

She Doesn't scream, which implies a great deal of discipline and training. Though she understands that she has lost this round and releases the Kahdir. I push her away as I let her go drawing the Majah-tu pistol and she scowls at me. "You! You fight like an animal!"

I could care less what anyone thinks of the way I fight; the point is I'm alive. "It doesn't matter now since the victor keeps breathing." She looks angrily at me holding her arm. "Listen, we have a choice here ether we get along, or I turn you in to the Princess." she decides to call it a day. A wise choice on her part. "Also, tell your fellow staff members here to stop planning anymore attacks on my person." She sneers at me, but leaves the way she came.

I take in a deep breath letting it out quickly looking around just in case somebody is lying in wait, for me to let my guard down. I think it will be better to head back to the room, and keep this to myself for now. I get to our room entering quietly just as jahní sit up. "Where did you go?"

I smile. "Just took a walk around to get my bearings around this place."

She studies me for a bit, damn it she knows I'm lying. I don't want her to have to follow through on what she promised yesterday. There has been enough death here as it is and she will have to do as she says, or lose credibility, or maybe not. "Jahní... I was attacked by one of your maids." I see the anger flare in her face, so I put my hands up. "I'm ok, Please don't do anything."

Jahní stands up walking to me standing directly in front. "You don't want me to drive a wedge between my people and myself. This is why you don't want me to do anything?"

"Yeah, that's right." She has to make a decision wether to follow through on her promise, or not to. I won't stop her what ever choice she makes, this is her house after all.

She puts her hand on her mouth considering her path to take; I'm not trying to make life difficult, but if she can show mercy then maybe - just maybe she will have peace here, and I won't have to fight for my life all the time. "I made a promise to execute anyone who would hurt you or attempt to do so. If I don't follow through I would lose their respect."

I rub my chin trying to help bring a solution that would help both sides. "I not going to tell you what you should do, it's not my place. But, think it over because I think there might be a way to smooth this over." Jahní sighs trying to see another end to this. "Why don't you talk to your friend and find out exactly what is going on?"

She nods at my suggestion to find answers. "Yes this could be a way to find the why they are acting so." Jahní sit on the edge of the bed. "I do want this to end peacefully for all of us, without the loss of life."