Chapter 27

The Marines have been down for four days getting to know the lay out of the Embassy. Now that they're more settled in, I call Lieutenant Monroe for a meeting. I get lieutenant Monroe up to speed on our current status here, and he is not thrilled. "Captain, I knew things were not good down here, but this is  devolving into a real situation." He lets out a breath. "We should contact the UEA about this and wait for instructions, Sir.

"Lieutenant," I begin. "We don't have the luxury to wait on committee approval for our actions out here. Therefore we must take initiative and steel ourselves for a potential attack." The Lieutenant looks down at my desk considering my argument. "Besides, we're practically across the galaxy. Our communications equipment wouldn't reach Earth in our life time."

"Sir," He looks at me earnestly. " we are low on resources. We don't have the man power, or sufficient weapons to fight off a concerted attack." He leans forward. "The Embassy would be overrun."

   "I understand your point, but we may have an ace in the hole still to play." He looks at me not sure what I'm talking about and that makes sense, since only Mandy and I would know. "In the hold of the Helios there is a crate that is our slim chance at repelling an attack, at least that's my hope."

"What's in the crate?" He asks curiosity written all over his face.

"It's a thirty millimeter canon." He seems genuinely surprised.

"That's right. It was brought aboard while the ship was still practically empty at Earth dock." I stand up walking to the window, which has a view of the ten meter high wall that protects us. Supposedly. "It's coming down today disassembled and it will be assembled and mounted on that tower turret."

He looks at me not sure of what to say then he stands up. "I'll get my Marines to help mount it Sir."

"Excelente Lieutenant." He looks at me waiting. "That is all. You may return to your duties." He salutes makes a sharp about face and walks out of my office here in the Embassy. He feels the same way I do around here; we're technologically outclassed. My hope is that since they've been fighting with such sophisticated weaponry, that something as low tech as that thirty mil will take them by surprise. Especially the depleted uranium armored piercing rounds.

I sit down at my desk opening the top drawer on my right. Pulling out a security lock box, entering the code, I open it. I sit there looking down at one of the things that was handed down from my grandfather to my father, and now to me. Picking it up, I hold and feel the weight of the Colt 1911 45 caliber pistol; I pull the slide back making sure it's empty. It's been a while since I use it.

The range is still not ready, and the ammo is not in large quantities. I put the pistol back in the box closing it; I wonder what my father would think of the situation his only son has gotten himself in. I put the box in the drawer thinking about the next move of our enemies, and how we might have to respond.

I rub my chin trying to find a way not to have to fight, but our enemies won't leave us any option. I think of the crew of the Helios and how they have followed me up to this point; so far there has been minimal loss of life. But now, we're headed to a real fight and not all the players have been discovered yet. My crew is yet to be blooded. How will they respond when they see their friends and ship mates die.

The power of youth is on their side, but the lack of experience may show itself in a critical moment. A knock on the door brings me back from my thoughts. "Come in." The door swings open and Mandy is standing there.

She looks at me and she seems better than she was four days ago. "Ant, do you have a minute?" she asks softly.

I study her for a second considering the her state of mind, but this is Mandy. "Sure come in." Mandy comes and takes one of the seats in front of my desk. "What can I do for you Mandy?"