Chapter 9

I lean against the bulk head of the Helios looking out of the portcullis of my office, just starring at Mars surface. I'm beginning to wonder if we'll be able to get away from here and start our true mission. Things are not going as I would like them to go, but that is life; we don't always get what we want. I turn away from the window and Mandy and Mr. Ahmadi are seated waiting for me. Also standing by the door is a young Marine, Private Bates in his dress greens, with a plas pistol as a side arm. Gunny Wilcox doesn't want to take any chances, so Mr. Ahmadi has a constant armed escort.

     "So Mr. Ahmadi, what can be done about your brother?" It seems that Bijan has run a coup d'état and Basha is banished. "You won't like the solutions that come to my mind, so we have to put our heads together here and come up with an answer." I say

    Mandy sits back tugging on the bottom of her ear lobe, like she does when she's deep in thought, which always makes me smile. However, in this situation I have to suppress my reaction, for Bashas benefit. "Is he not open to any form of negotiations what so ever?" Mandy asks.

     "No." Answers Basha. "As far as I could tell my brother is radicalized far beyond normal means of negotiating."

     "So if you were in my shoe Mr. Ahmadi what would you do?" He looks at me and I could see in his face the answer, which is the same solution that I have already deduced to be the only one at our disposal, if we're going to save all those lives that remain in that bunker. Half have gone back to the main complex. "Mr. Ahmadi you've not told me the reason for the rebellion yet. Why?" I need to know since it will give me a better view of what happened.

    He takes in a deep breath letting it out slowly. "Well, my main job here on Mars is radio operator." He looks at me and then at Mandy. "We can receive on all frequencies, including military ones. Though we only supposed to listen when an emergency alert is sent." He scratches his ear nervously. "I was thrilled at the thought of listening to the new ship leaving the solar system, so I broke the protocol and began to tune in when I should not have."

    "Wait a minute! You heard the Hyperion's distress call!" The realization smacks me! This mission is not to put down a rebellion, but to keep a damn secret! I shoot a glare in Mandy's direction. She signals me the I don't know sign; good Lord we are being used as the clean up crew, and General Artemis is here for only one reason. I look at my watch; we've been here discussing the situation for almost thirty minutes. "Mr. Ahmadi, if you can please excuse us for now and I will let you know when we will finish this meeting soon." Basha inclines his head rising from the chair and leaves with his Marine escort behind him.

As soon as the door closes I look at Mandy square in the eyes. "What the hell is going on here Mandy!" I know that I'm speaking a little loud, so I control my breath. "Please tell me you really don't know anything."

She sits there and I can see the hurt in her eyes, at my question. "I have no knowledge of this thing that Basha just mentioned." I can hear the reproach in her voice and I cringe a little. She sits staring at me making me feel like a heel, for doubting her. "Don't you trust me Ant?" Her voice is emotional and the hurt is clear. Damn I wonder if this is not intentional, to create division between us; to keep me from being able to rely on Mandy.

"I'm sorry. I apologize for questioning you about this." I look at her and I can still see the resentment on her face. "To many lies have been fed to me, so please forgive my distrust." Mandy looks down at her hands as I watch her shoulders sag a bit.

     She looks back at me and our eyes lock; for a moment I see the very young lieutenant, who came to Africa thinking she would find the way to end the war in twenty four hours. For almost three years I'd been there with no solution in sight. "You're right," She says. "I did withhold a lot of things from you, when I should have been upfront and candid." She continues. "You have to understand; there those who did not want you involved, due to the fact that they felt you were maybe - unstable."