Chapter 14

Well, the Majah-tu are as good as their word, as they are helping us with the Hyperion's recovery mission. Mandy is once again over there taking charge and making things move. On a very sad note five bodies have been discovered, and it seems like they may have survived until the oxygen ran out. The news has hit hard. Especially me. I watched as the remains were brought on board, with great care and respect for these first travelers into the unknown. I've buried friends and foe alike; I can not get used to it. It always feels like a waste of life, cut short in its prime.

"Mandy." I have a direct channel to her. "What's the situ in there?" I ask knowing that I don't have to be worried for any of my people.

"I think were done; it's just a total mess in here." Mandy pauses for a minute. "Yeah were done, I'm calling it Ant." I sit back in the chair and just stare at the remains of the Hyperion, and let out a quiet breath of regret.

"Ok, bring it home Mandy."

"Roger that, bringing it home."

    An hour later Mandy and I are sitting in my office going over the list of the Hyperion's crew. We've identified the five bodies that were recovered. Chief engineer Carl Knaus, engineer's mate first class Tina Harrison, electrician mate second class Bill Torrez, medic first class Barbra Kuhn and engineer mate second class Thomas Moore. Death for them was slow and agonizing. I can't imagine what they must've felt knowing that were going to die; that no rescue would be coming.

"Well Ant, I think we have done all we can do for these men and women from the Hyperion."
I glance up at Mandy for a moment, remembering all the good times I spent with those crew members, while in the training and development of the Hyperion project.

    "Yeah, I agree." I utter in a low voice. Mandy puts her hand on my shoulder and it feels nice to have her watching my back. Together we head back to the bridge.

     "Captain." I turn to the comm officer. A young woman with the fresh face of youth with green happy eyes and brown hair, who just got promoted to lieutenant; she's eager to show her talent to everyone. This is something I can understand, because I remember when I was a newly minted lieutenant, leading my first command into combat.

    "Yes lieutenant Stone, what is it?" I inquire.

     "Sir, the Majah-tu are requesting to speak you." I can see the excitement by the expression on her face of having spoken to an alien race.

"Alright, patch it through to my screen here please." She turns and sends it to me. The image of Jah-jahni's pops up on my screen, and again the thought of an angel comes to mind. I can't seem to have another opinion. Her beauty is unlike anything I've ever seen.

     "Captain Valdez, Major Roberts, I hope you have accomplished your objective here." She says to us, and I'm glad she acknowledged Mandy as well. I suppose it's a way to show no hard feelings between them. That dinner was a bit rough, at least we got through it, without starting a war with our new found acquaintances.

    "Yes we have, to a degree. And I thank you for the help during the salvage operation."
They helped us quite a bit with security of the area, while we were busy. "Is there anything we can do for you?" I feel it's only fair to ask.

She looks at us both and smiles inclining her head, which I hope means she is accepting of our words. "Now that you ask, there is something that I would like to request of you." I look turn to Mandy and she seems on edge at Jah-jahni's need to ask for something.

"Well - what can - we do for you?" Damn I didn't want to come over as though we have no trust in them, but what can we possibly have that they would want?