Chapter 48

As we rest from the excitement of escape a tall Majah-tu comes to where we are recovering, and I notice the rank on his shoulder. It's the equivalent of Colonel in our military. He come right to Jahní and bows his respect to her royal person and then to Lahí; he ignores Hal and me, which is typical of those snobby types on Earth.

"My Lady Princess, welcome to our humble outpost." He eyes us dubiously for the first time, "Will you need accommodations for you man servants..."

"They are not man servants!" Lahí says exasperated with that comment.

Jahní puts up a hand causing Lahí to calm down. "Commandant, I will make this clear so there are no misunderstandings. This man." Pointing to me. "He is my pledged and the father of my unborn child. Please extend all the courtesy to him and his companion."

There is a collective gasp in the room at this revelation. "Surely My Lady Princess you jest?" He looks at me and it's not friendly and heart warming. I find myself instinctively moving my hand toward my pistol, which he notices and goes to draw his sword. Jahní puts the muzzle of her pistol against the temple of his head.

"Commandant, I find it irritating that so many want to harm my pledged that perhaps I should make an example of someone with rank, to teach a lesson." beads of sweat run down the commandants forehead. "What do you think? Is that necessary?" Jahní speaks low, but the venom in her voice is clear as day.

He turns to Lahí seeking help or something. Instead he sees cold indifference, because she has someone she must protect as well. "No lesson is needed My lady Princess, please forgive me."

"Good. See to it that all your men understand that no matter what they see they will contain themselves." The warning Jahní gives is understood by all in that place. The Commandant bows to her and to Lahí, gesturing for us to come with him. He leads us through the building to a central court yard, where a table has been set up with food.

He asks us to take places at the table that's ready in the honor of the princess's, to dine near the beauty of the garden. "Please forgive the modesty of our outpost, but I hope it is to your liking." Jahní inclines her head as does Lahí. A Majah-tu priest walks into the court yard, and he reminds me of the scumbag who roughly cut Jahní's hair. "Ah Moltahn , would be so kind as to bless this fine fair we are about to eat."

He starts to pray in their language, and even though Jahní has been teaching me her tongue it's just to fast and I miss most of what is said. He finishes looking at Jahní's hand then to mine, but he gives no indication of anything untoward us. I hate being a suspicious guy, but it's in my nature to be. I watch him leave and damn it all he looks back at us, with that I must report this expression on his face.

I concentrate on Jahní for a moment. Jahní that priest is going to rat us out for sure.

She slightly reacts to my thought send, that's all I call this because it's what I do, she looks to the door he left through. Are you certain he is going to tell someone we're here?

I nod slightly and she gets it. "So Commandant what is going on with all the Phahl- tehn on this planet?" Jahní asks.

The Commandant looks down at his food. "Well, this is a world outside of the jurisdiction of the three major powers, so once a year they come to have their meetings and trade their goods." He obviously dislikes them, but he doesn't have the power to deal with them alone.

I look at the other sat the table. "Is it me or do they sound like some type of government having a summit." Everyone looks at me. "Hey, I'm not to familiar with all this yet; However, I have to say it that the thugs are running the show here."