|31|

MADS' POV

"Caden?" I peek into the school room. Caden is my ex. We broke up about a month ago right after our 3 month anniversary because he decided he didn't love me anymore. I was heartbroken, but I guess I'm ok now. "Caden, they need you. Also Greg is wondering why no one is coming for their scenes anymore."

They all laugh.

"Uhh, we're being diligent and doing school?" Brynn suggests.

Caden gets up from his computer and walks past me. As he passes, his arm brushes my leg. My heart skips a beat at the touch, and I turn to look at him. He keeps on going, ignoring me.

"Bro, why you ignoring me?" I say, hurrying up behind him.

"What? I'm not ignoring you." He doesn't even look at me.

"You said even if we broke up we'd stay good friends," I say, lowing my voice.

He still doesn't look at me. "That was before."

"What?"

He stops walking and looks me in the eye. My heart stops.

"I know you still like me. If we're friends, you're never going to get over it."

"What's it?" I demand.

"Us." He starts walking again.

I chase after him and grab his arm.

"I don't like you anymore in that way, Caden," I lie.

He shrugs, and then, barely audibly, whispers, "Well, I do."

He stares at me for a second. There's a look in his eyes. Before I can put my finger on what it is, he turns away abruptly and leaves, leaving me speechless.

He still likes me. Caden still likes me. I don't know whether or not to jump up and down or to break down into tears. But he said he didn't like me anymore. That's why we broke up! My mind is a mess.

"Everyone set?" Greg calls. "All right. Action."

¥ ¥ ¥ ¥ ¥

"So what competitions exactly are we going to over the summer?" Rhyme asks me, giving me a skeptical look.

"Come on, Rhyme," I complain, "we've been planning this the whole summer. You should know."

She looks dejectedly down. "I'm sorry, I forgot again."

I roll my eyes. "Starshooter in LA, Journey in Pennsylvania, Chargers in Texas, and State, here in Attaway. And hopefully after that, regionals, and then Nationals."

Ellie laughs her silly laugh. "That's a lot. Are you sure we can do this?"

"Of course we can! Are you kidding me?" I ask in annoyance.

Then, I hear the smooth, annoying voice of Luna. Great, Power Surge.

"What are you talking about?" Luna's soft, irritating voice asks.

"None of your business, Static Hair." I retort, turning to face her with the meanest face I can muster.

"Besides," I add, "Why do you always walk around with your entire team? Are you too scared to walk by yourself?"

Monica looks at me threateningly. "None of your business, Chicken Heads," she mimicks mockingly.

"Ok," Kayla comes over. "What's going on now? Why are you guys here?"

Luna gives us a sinister grin and replies, "I just wanted to hear what competitions you all were going to so I can go and see you all get demolished."

"Or, so you can steal our dances again," I interrupt, glaring fiercely at Nina, who betrayed us last year. She cringes a little bit.

"Let me remnd you that we didn't start that. You did it first." Before I can come back with a hot roast, she turns on her heel, her troupe following her like dogs follow their masters.

"See you later, chickens." She calls over her shoulder.

Ellie breaks the simmering atmosphere with a laugh.

"Why are you guys so hostile? I would have thought you were Hitler and I was Stalin or something."

I give Ellie a glare, and roll my eyes.

"Actually, Ellie," Rhyme interrupts awkwardly, "Stalin and Hitler were kind of on the same side..."