|53|

ANNIE'S POV

I'm heartbroken. I was about to give Hayden another chance. I guess he doesn't deserve it after all.

The cool wind blows onto my hot face, and drying up the tears that threaten to fall. I pick at the wooden splinters on the bench, and then, hearing Jenna's family driving up, pick up my phone and pretend to look busy.

They disappear inside, and I put my phone down. I look up at the darkening sky. I can't believe my friends would backstab my like that. Who can I trust anymore?

"Annie?" I look away from whoever's speaking and bow my head down. Luckily, it's just my mom.

"Anns, what's wrong?"

I don't answer her.

"Honey, you're not going to let two stupid kids ruin your night, are you?"

"It's too late," I say brokenly.

"You can't just sit here on this bench the entire night, Annie. You need to be the strong one. Go in there and show them you don't care what they do." Mommy sits down on the bench next to me and rubs my knee.

I shake my head. "They're going to try to "explain" it, but I don't want to hear about it. Everyone's going to ask me about it. Look," I motion to the parking lot, where another family just pulled up, "There are so many people here. I can't pretend to be happy anymore."

Sighing, Mommy gives me a hug and stands up. "I'll let you come in when you're ready. You have to come in at some point, though, ok?"

Reluctantly, I nod. Mommy disappears inside the restaurant. I can't stay sitting here, or everyone who walks in will say hi to me...

...as evidenced by the arrival of Lilia and her boyfriend, Jaeden.

Normally, I would freak out because Jaeden was in IT, aka one of my favorite movies.

"Heyyyy, Annie!" She comes over and gives me a hug. "How are you?"

"I'm great!" I fake a smile as Lilia introduces me to her boyfriend.

"Nice to meet you! You were sooo good in IT. Anyways, I'm just catching some air out here, but I'll catch ya later."

"Cool! Well, I'll see you later!" Lilia and Jaeden finally leave and go inside.

As another car pulls up, I quickly get up and start walking down to the alley.

"Annie!!"

It's Kenzie, of course. I start walking faster, without looking back.

"Annie! Wait up!"

Great, now where do I go...just run down the alley?

"ANNIE! I need to talk to you. I want to apologize."

I sigh and stop walking.

"You can't apologize for anything. It's too late," I say sharply.

"Yes, I can," Kenzie insists, coming up beside me. "I'm gonna apologize, but you don't need to forgive me."

Taking a deep breath, I turn and face her. "Ok, then go."

"Annie," she pauses, at a loss where to start. "If not trying to take Hayden. I never was. Ok, I'll admit, I still had a crush on him, but I never texted him or hung out with him with the intention to try to get him back. Really, you were the reason we broke up. I could tell he really loved you, so I let him go. When we went bowling, it was because Brynn wanted to go bowling but no one was available. Remember we asked you?"

I nod slowly. "Yeah..."

"So we asked Carson. We never asked Hayden, but he called Carson after we had arranged and asked Carson if he wanted to hang out and play Fortnite or something, I don't know."

Smiling slightly, because it sounds just like Hayden, I nod. "Ok, go on..."

"Carson said no, because he was hanging with us, and then he invited Hayden to come with us if he still wanted to hang out. That's why he came bowling with us."

[A/N: yea btw this is the real reason they hung out Hayden dm'd a fan about it]

"Annie," Kenzie seems at a loss for words. "I'm sorry I hung out with Hayden so much. If you felt uncomfortable, you should have told me. I wouldn't have done anything to get in the way of you and him. Honest to God, I wouldn't. So I'm sorry I was talking to him so much. I didn't know you were dating! You don't have to accept my apology. You don't even have to be friends with me anymore. I just wanted you understand."

I stare at her for a second, trying to digest it all.

"Ok..."

Kenzie takes one more look at me before turning around and starting to walk away.

"Wait!" I run after her and catch her arm. "I want to apologize too."

She waits patiently for me while I struggle to find the right words.

"Kenzie...." I shift on my feet awkwardly. "I forgive you. And I'm sorry too. I said a lot of mean things about you. I should have just talked to you because it was a misunderstanding. I'm sorry."

Kenzie pulls me into a hug. "It's ok, Annie. Are we all cool now?"

Smiling, I nod.

-
-
-
-
A/N: thank y'all for 4k reads!!