4. Payback

-Jaden-

-Jaden-

"My stomach hurts," I gasped with tears in my eyes. "I just keep imagining Jack running to his father, and – and...!" I started laughing again.

"Mm, old man Thorn isn't going to do shit about it," Tilly spoke, tousling her hair.

"Oi, you two are way too relaxed about it," Arch muttered. "Thorns have strong fighters too."

"It's too bad their alpha family is full of pansies," Tilly snorted. "I don't understand why Alpha Rayleigh is letting them stay in this town."

"For the comical value?" I spoke, wiping my eyes dry. "I can't keep up with my dad's whims."

Arch sighed again, but kept his mouth shut. Sometimes the guy had no sense of humor whatsoever. Yes, the Thorns shouldn't be taken lightly, but they were no match for us. They wouldn't start a war just because the Alpha's dimwit son got his nose fixed by Tilly.

We stepped into our classroom ten minutes late. Our teacher, Mr. Bentley, looked up from his papers and gritted his teeth together before lowering his gaze again. "You're late..." he mumbled.

"Sorry," Tilly spoke without actually sounding apologetic. Mr. Bentley peered at her over his goggles, and I could tell he wasn't pleased to see what Tilly was wearing – which was pretty much nothing, as usual – since there was a dress code. But he said nothing.

I held back a laugh. Humans. They had no idea what we were, but they instinctively knew not to cross us. When the little incident with Jack happened, I knew there had to be at least a couple of teachers who saw us, but they stayed away like the good little lambs they were. Even now, Mr. Bentley wanted to give us detention or at least yell at us – it was written all over his face – but he didn't.

"Turn to page seventy-three," he just said, and opened his laptop. "Take your time reading the first page thoroughly."

I spent a few moments trying to decide if I should even grab the book from my bag. Mr. Bentley looked at me over his laptop, but didn't say a word. Oh, he was boiling. I decided not to take the book. It was too much fun to annoy the poor teacher. What made things even better were Tilly, who was too busy checking herself in her pocket mirror, and Arch, who was checking out one of the girls on his right. Neither of them was paying any attention to the class.

I turned to look at Mr. Bentley, who was now staring at me with an intense gleam in his eyes. Then, he slowly lifted up his right fist, with only his index finger stretched out. He pointed somewhere down, and he started lowering that hand slowly. First, I thought he was trying to intimidate me to get my book, but then I realized he just pressed something on his keyboard.

That click echoed through the room, but I doubted anyone else noticed it. I waited for a moment, but nothing happened, of course, except that he turned his gaze away. For a second there, I thought I saw a small smile twitching at the corner of his mouth, but it was gone really fast.