Chapter 6: Putting 2 and 2 Together

Ryan
I just saw my greatest rival enter the hospital. From the looks of it he's finna crown his queen with the rose. This isn't apart of the plan at all. I thought I still had time. His old man and mama was suppose to tell him around his eighteenth birthday. I thought I had more time to strategically think of a way to overthrow them and take his rightful place. First I need to find Jaida. I have a feeling she went into the operation room. Women these days you can't live with them and can't live without em.

RJ
I need to check up on O. I can't let him just be out here doing stuff that might risk his well being. I call his cell about three times before he decides to answer. My job doesn't pay enough to put up with this.

"Hello."

"Aye Big O whatcha up to?"

"At the hospital."

Something about the way he was talking is different. Normally when he talks on the phone he's all happy and funny. Now his voice is filled with gloom and despair. Wait a minute hold up he at the hospital!!!! Aww mane see this is why I need a new job. I just gave him the number not too long ago and he already at the hospital. This boy is gonna be the death of me. His mama is gonna order me to be killed and everything. Then nobody is gonna be able to find my body. Oh this is the worse of the worse.

"What hospital you at?"

"Willis Knight in Bossier."

"Later."

I hang up the phone and hit the steering wheel. I put the pedal to the metal in my 2019 Ford Mustang. My engine roars to life. My baby is built for speed.

Jaida
So I sneak around in the operation room. I see a sign that says, "Wash your hands, put on the appropriate attire, and sterilize the utensils." I wash my hands, find a nurse's outfit, and I go further down. I see La'Toya being operated on and I watch through the window.

"What are you doing?"

I turn around to see a doctor staring back at me.

"I uh.. lemme explain."

"I don't wanna hear an explanation! We need extra hands in there so get moving now! We have to save this young lady's life! She already died on the table once."

I look up at the ceiling and close my eyes. Maybe this is a dream and I'll wake up any second now. Just in case this isn't a dream I hope and pray I faint after we save La'Toya not a second before.

"Move your butt sister we have a life to save."

I quickly follow the doctor in the room. We both put on a pair of latex gloves. I think about it hold up she's allergic to latex.

"Wait!"

Everyone turns to me.

"What is it nurse? We don't have much time."

"She's allergic to latex."

"How do you..."

"I read her file and saw her medical history."

"Well what are y'all standing around for everyone change out of your gloves. Get the nitrile gloves."

Soon all of us change out of the gloves and change into the new ones.

"Scalpel."

I hand him the scalpel and watch him make a large incision on La'Toya's abdomen. I see the blood seeping through. My ears start to ring and sweat begins to form. I close my eyes I refuse to pass out she needs me. I open my eyes and look at the monitor her heart rate is starting to decline. No I won't allow her to leave me. I look at the doctor and I see that he's exploring around in there looking for the leaking blood vessels.

"Alright now we gotta seal her up!"

The nurses crowd around and help seal her up and I just watch her monitor she's slipping away from us. The monitor was like beep, beep, beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. The piercing sound made tears well up. No I refuse to lose her now!

Orlando
Big Mama's words still echoes in my head "...future queen in the family. Give her this rose." I already know I have a big family, and it's only expanded more over the years. I scarcely remember the last family reunion it happened when I was about four and a half. I remember playing with a group of my cousins. One around my age pushed me down and kicked the crap outta me. Then I grabbed his foot and brought him down. I got on top of him and punched him until the adults separated us. Grandma Rose brought me into the guest bathroom to wash me off. I faintly remember what the adults were talking about. I remember bits and pieces like "He's the future king.... teach your son to respect him....next time we won't be so merciful...." Maybe all this is connected some how.

RJ
I take all the back roads I know only to avoid traffic lights, traffic, and 12. I ain't tryna lose my life today or any day for that matter. I turn on my police radar just in case they hiding in plain sight and I miss em. I'm about roughly 10.8 miles from him. I turn on the radio to get me hyped up. I tap my fingers on the steering wheel and bob my head to the beat. This ride ain't gon take too long. I really need to go to a party ASAP cause I need to relax and live in the moment. I'm passing cars left and right. This one car won't move out the way and let me pass. I get beside it and look out my window. The driver lets down the window and I see my cousin TJ.

"Aye foo quit playing games and lemme pass."

"Long time no see cuh I couldn't let cha pass cause I needed to get your attention."

"Well you got it. So now what?"

"Meet me at the abandoned shack on Sugar Hill."

I nod and roll up my window. This gotta be serious if he wants to meet on Sugar Hill.