Chapter 43: Confrontation

RJ
New Year new me right? Wrong. That's not how this is going to be. All last year I managed to avoid talking and seeing my dad. This year my mom ain't having it. Ever since January through present day May 18th she's been bugging me. She expects me to rekindle a relationship with a man that was barely here. He left without having the guts to say goodbye. He told me he was going to the store and I waited for him to come back.

He never did until towards the end of last year. Does my mom not see what he has done? He's caused us nothing, but pain. She expects me to welcome him with open arms like nothing happened. He let her be a single mother for the longest time. After all these points I mentioned to her all she says is that he still is my father at the end of the day. Today is practice graduation and tomorrow is graduation. I don't have time for this. She knows she's wearing me down when it comes to my dad situation.

"RJ after graduation practice I want you to come straight home. No hanging with the boys or Orlando. Do you hear me?"

"Yea."

"Yea? Just because you graduating tomorrow that don't make you grown. I brought you into this world and I can take you out."

"Yes ma'am."

"Love you, but you're going to have to promise me that you're gonna connect with your father. Life is too short for holding grudges. You remember what happened to Orlando's dad?"

"If it will mean the world I'll do it for ya ma. Now I gotta go I'll see you later."

I had to hurry out of there before I made some more promises that are easier said than done.

Orlando
Today is just one step closer to a new page in our lives as the class of 2018. Everything is going as it should. Jaida and La'Toya are back on track. Apparently she's left Ryan alone for good. Legacy hasn't had any trouble out of Kayla for a while. We all are happy and excited for what's next to come. RJ hasn't been as laid back as he use to. I think it's because his dad is back in town. He can't really avoid the guy especially since he's named after him.

Ryan
Over the past few months I've been numb in the inside. Jaida left me and I didn't have a clue as to why she did. I've tried everything to get over her. I've been having different women over and turned to the bottle. Nothing made me forget or ease the pain. I kept replaying it my head that I didn't thank her enough, I never said I love you, and I should've been there for her more. Now I probably won't ever get the chance to say or do those things. At first I blocked the feelings and then it hit me harder. She blocked me on everything. Now all I do is come home and sit in the dark.

"Ew Ryan what's that smell? Bro you need a shower. Clean up your room."

"Rylee don't you dare open them blinds."

I should've known she wasn't gonna listen. She opened them and the sunlight filled the room.

"I'm tired of you being in here everyday. Now come here in my room once you take a shower."

I glare at her and get in the shower. When I come out I change into some clean clothes and head into her room. I have more pent up anger in me now than I once did. I'm more prone to snap at anything at anytime.

"Come sit by me."

I sit next to her and stare at her stomach. I often wondered how did I fail to know she was pregnant. Maybe I was too caught up in my own dealings to pay attention.

"Ryan you're going to be an uncle. So you need to get it together for your niece or nephew. Give me your hand."

She takes my hand and places it on her stomach I could feel the baby move. For once in months did I feel a little content. I look up at her and she smiled at me.