Chapter 15: Ashes to Ashes

La'Toya
Orlando kept his word and he visited me everyday bring food. Now that's what kinda man I need! He would laugh when I would dance while I eat. I was like don't judge boo this good it's just soo good. I mean I like Orlando, but I don't see him as a love interest to be honest. I see him more as a best friend. I need to meet his Big Mama cause that breakfast had me shedding tears of joy. She got them kitchen talents. At least today I'm getting discharged today. Orlando is suppose to be here to pick me up. Speak of which I need to go ahead and call him.

"He...."

"Orlando where you at?!"

"Is that time of the month?"

"Orlando don't do that! I swear like y'all dudes always say that when a girl gets mad! You know what Jaida can pick me up!"

"La'Toya chill. Why would Jaida pick you up when I'm right behind you?"

I turn around and see Orlando. He's holding a big white teddy bear, chocolate, balloons, a card, and some shrimp Alfredo. I try to hold back my tears, but they started streaming. I ran up to him and clung on his neck. I kinda tackled him but he regained his balance. I kiss him all over his face.

"Thank you!!! Thank you!!!! Thank you!!!"

"You're welcome you deserve it, but I got one more thing."

"What else could there be better than this?"

"Come on I'll show you."

I sign my discharge papers and we head out into the parking lot. Orlando puts my gifts in the truck. I try to open the passenger side.

"Whatcha doin?"

"Um getting in the car what you mean?"

"Nah I gotta show you something besides the car is locked."

He clicks the lock button on his car keys.

"It wasn't you just locked it."

"Exactly now come on."

I go over to where he is and he blindfolds me.

"Orlando I swear if I fall I'm coming for you! Don't try to fight me I gotta black belt."

"La'Toya you don't do karate."

"You right, but I gotta black belt on. You want me to test out my skill right now?"

"Just hush and hold my hand."

I oblige and hold his hand. His hand is the only guide I have. I use my other senses as well. We stop and Orlando turns my body. He takes offf the blindfold.

"Oh it's you. Some surprise."

"Now that wasn't nice at all."

"Salty?"

"Very."

We start laughing and I admire his smile. I can't help, but to smile when he does.

"Alright I want you to cover your eyes and no peeking."

"What am I three?"

"La'Toya just do it please."

"Yes sir."

I do as he tells me and he turns me around. 

"Open your eyes."

I'm facing a 2018 Hot pink Maserati. I'm speechless I don't know what to say. He wiggles the keys in front of me. He ushers me to the back and show me the license plate. It says Royalty.

"Well I couldn't decide between getting you a 2018 Hot Pink Maserati or a 2018 Hot Pink Ferrari. So instead of choosing I got them both. So you got one for now and one for your birthday. I got this because I know your other car was totaled. So you need a car to get from point A to point B."

"Orlando... Orlando. I don't know what to say."

"Well normal people would say thank you or gimme the keys."

He laughs, but stops when he looks at my face.

"Orlando this is a nice gesture, but I couldn't possibly accept this. How much do I owe you?"

"Owe me? You don't owe me anything just accept the gift. I got it for you I don't wanna be paid back. Just take it."

"Orlando this is a luxury car it must've cost you a fortune. I couldn't possibly...."

"La'Toya I didn't have to pay for the two cars my parents are cool with the man who sells these cars. He gave them to us as a gift when I asked for them. I don't do the color pink just letting you know. I'm still going to drive you home. I just didn't know where your house was so I couldn't deliver it."

He tried to give me the keys, but we end up playing hot potato with the keys. We played it until he threw them back and took off running.

"That's cheating!"

"You better try to pick it up before someone takes that car."

I pick them up and walk back to his truck. I climbed into the passenger side and slid the keys into the glove compartment. He was gonna take these keys one way or another. He took me out to get breakfast then he drove me home. He parks his car in my grandma's driveway and turns off the engine.

"La'Toya I gotta tell you something before you leave. I like you a lot and well I did something without you knowing."

"What are you talking about?"

"You remember that rose I gave you after you woke up?"

"Yes it was soo beautiful I loved it. You remember when you helped me put it in my hair. I even took pictures in it. I'll send them to you."

I start sending the pictures to Orlando and his phone starts vibrating as I send them.

"Listen to me. It was selfish of me to do that to you."

"No it wasn't it was a nice gesture."

"La'Toya I...."

"Orlando it's okay I love it."

"Dang it La'Toya quit cutting me off and let me finish!"

I jump in surprise and my eyes widen. He's never really yelled at me before this took me for surprise.

"I'm sorry, but that rose means your my queen. You gotta marry me and eventually we have to produce an heir."

"Lies you tell. I actually thought you were different for all the other dudes, but you ain't. You lied to me! You can keep everything and stick it."

I get out the truck and run into the house. I don't care about the pain filling my body. Orlando has just hurt me in the worse way possible.