Chapter 10: Heritage

Orlando
I should've known this was bound to go left. I did do her dirty.

"My true intentions?"

"You heard me I didn't stutter!"

"Aye O I'll give y'all some alone time."

RJ left me so if she attacks me I'm a goner. Tell my mama I love her. Anyways I need to focus.

"I promise my true intentions are pure."

"Really you were just nonchalant a few hours ago when you almost hit me!"

I bite my tongue because I know she's right. I just don't want her to judge me by my past.

"Cat gotcha tongue don't it?"

"I admit I was wrong."

Saying those words leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. It left a small scar on my pride.

"Well Orlando I don't need someone who acts like they don't care one minute then the next minute they care."

"Look La'Toya I'm sorry. I'll do anything to make it up for you. I'm trying here I messed up and I wanna make it right. Give me a chance. Aren't you the one who says everyone needs a chance and don't judge them?"

"Aight Orlando I'll give you a chance. I'm still in this hospital bed though until Monday."

"I'll visit you everyday and make sure I bring you any kind of food you want."

"Ooo big daddy now you talking my language!"

I'm amazed at how this young woman just endured a car accident and is still able to make jokes.

"Oh so you admit I'm big daddy huh?"

"Shut up and gimme some food."

"What do you gotta taste for?"

"I want some pizza. Extra cheese and pepperoni."

"Aight you get stopped up that's on you."

"Did I ask for your diagnosis doc?"

"I'm just giving you a fair warning before I prescribe you with this pizza."

She starts to giggle and I just watch her. She's a mixture of things. She doesn't know what she's doing to me. I start to walk out.

"Wait!"

"Yes?"

"I wanna Dr. Pepper. Please make sure it's cold."

I almost forgot to give her the rose.

"RJ come in here right quick."

I already know he was by the door listening in. He just nosy.

"What's up?"

"I want you to be a witness to this."

"Oh lord y'all finna murder me. I should've known you wasn't finna bring me my food."

"La'Toya stop being dramatic. I got something to give you."

"What is it?"

I pull out the rose from inside the bag. I bring it in front of me and kneel in front of her. I hold it in front of her. She picks it up and looks at it.

"Orlando it's beautiful."

"Not as beautiful as you."

"That's so sweet. I don't want you to go you can stay. I guess I'll wait till tomorrow to eat. I don't even know if I'm suppose to eat."

"So you were gonna allow me to give you food when you weren't suppose to have it."

"Hey I was hungry."