Chapter 37: Slow and Steady

TJ
I get back to the safe house and Aunt Jayla's office light is still on. I don't bother to knock I just bust in. She holds a pistol in my direction.

"Well dang TJ did you want to get shot?"

"Wasn't in the plan. What I got is urgent."

"Well since you in here go ahead and show me."

"I forgot I had these recordings."

I slide them across her desk and she looks at me then at the recordings. She plays them and lean back in her chair. She's fiddling with her thumbs as she listens. After she's finished listening to them she hands them back to me.

"That it?"

"That's all you gotta say about that?"

"Well yeah. It could've been rehearsed. So if you don't have anything else to show me or tell me you can go home like I asked you to."

I tell her what happened at Rylee's apartment. She pushes her hair back and huff.

"I'm not buying it. They could've easily known that you were outside of the door. When will you get it through your head that we can't trust them? I love that you have a big heart, but they have already shown that they can't be trusted. What other signs do you need to get the picture?"

"Aunt Jayla I need you to listen to me. You can't judge Rylee for the sins of her mother. She's been nothing, but nice to me. She's helped us out greatly and given me files from her house."

"Files? Bring them here."

I go and get the files out of my trunk. I bring them in and give them to her. Her face turns a ghostly white. She says through her teeth

"TJ how long have you had these files?"

"Ion know maybe for two or three weeks tops."

"You are officially hereby suspended from Legacy until I give you further notice. You will only be able to go to school and home. Do I make myself clear?"

"Why am I being suspended? You can't do that to me!"

"I just did. Now leave my office immediately or shall I have you escorted?"

When I get to the doorway I turn to Aunt Jayla.

"Now I see why your own twin turned on you."

I slammed the door behind me and I see her two bodyguards come my way.

"Y'all ain't even gotta worry bout it I'm out."

La'Toya
When I wake up the sun is barely up. I almost didn't remember the things that went on last night. I need to meet up with Jaida so we can talk. I gather my stuff and try to be as quiet as possible.

"Where you going?"

"Just go back to sleep you need to rest."

I should've know Orlando was gonna be hard headed. He tries to sit up and he winces.

"Easy. Easy. I'll be back I promise I just need to meet up with Jaida."

"I'm going too I can't stand being in the bed all day. You know I can't sit still."

Instead of wasting time I help him.

"How we gonna sneak you out tho?"

"Orlando Landon Washington! What do you think you're doing?"

I turn around to look at his mom. She has bags under her eyes. It looks like she's been up all night and part of this morning.

"Told you this wasn't a good idea, but nooo you wouldn't listen to me."

"Shh. Mama I'm just stretching my legs. I'm tired of just laying here. You know I can't stay like this."

"How do you expect to recover if you won't rest? You're staying here and that's final."

While they were talking I was backing away slowly.

"And La'Toya where are you going?"

"I'm going to meet up with my friend. Then I'll come back."

"Be fast. We have somethings to discuss."

"Yes ma'am."

I pull up to my house and sure enough Jaida's car was parked out front. I unlock the door and go in my room.

"Jaida I swear if I find something missing from my snack drawer it's gonna be me and you!"

"Toya I missed you."

"I missed you too I can't lie."

"We gucci?"

"Nah I'm Louis Vuitton."

We laugh and it's like we never been away from each other.

At the same time Jaida and I say

"You're my sista, I would lie for, cry for, take a bullet and straight up die for you."

I look at her and she looks at me. Before she says anything else I speak up.

"Pinch, poke you owe me a coke."

"Really you know you like Dr. Pepper better."

"That's my best friend! Go best friend!"

Jaida tells me what Ryan is up to and all that she heard. It's a lot to take in, but I have to anyway. She even started catching feelings for him a lil bit. He ended that feeling so she say.

"Okay my advice to you is to go to school and you can stay here for as long as you want. If my parents come then I'm at a friend's house. And you're waiting for me to come home. That's the plan stick to it. Oh and leave Ryan alone. Don't text, call, hang out, none of that. Don't like pics or slide up on his story. I should be back tomorrow, but it depends on the rate Orlando's healing process."

"Okay you betta come back."

"I'm finna head back and you need to go to school. Act like nothing happened. Oh and please gimme my make up work."

"Will do."

Kayla
I haven't lost my touch. I brought my baby home and I didn't even have to shed any blood. I'm on a roll.

"Go Kayla. Go Kayla."

I do the cabbage patch and now it's time for me to move forward with the next part of my plan. See you can't just hit them right after something like this. No you have to wait until they least expect it. I'll take as much time as I can. I couldn't have planned it better. I'll let them think I gave up. Then boom I got em. The least I can do for my nephew is let him live a lil his senior year.