Chapter 9: Welcome Back La'Toya

Orlando
"So how do I..."

Before I can finish the sentence the doctor wheels La'Toya in.

"She should be waking up in about 45 minutes or less. Push this button right here and a nurse will come in here to assist you with anything you need. Good evening gentlemen."

"Now what were you saying cuh?"

"Shut it I'm not finna say this over her!"

"Why not? You act like she gon wake up and walk out. She can't do nun."

"Okay prolly not now, but she will eventually."

"Eventually. It's gonna take a while for her. Look at her."

I look over her body and I see all the colors Jaida described to me. I clench my fist and the urge to protect her grows stronger. I can't help, but to feel like this is all my fault. If I hadn't of tease and rubbed her the wrong way maybe she wouldn't be in this predicament. A long, big curl falls in front of her eyes and I push it back in place. I cup her face in my hand.

"You're beautiful."

"Whoa bro I know you ain't talking to me!"

"Shut up fool you know dang well I'm talking to La'Toya."

"I know. I just wanted to hear you confess to it. I wonder if you would have the courage to say it to her face."

"We'll see when she wakes up. I don't wanna rush her, but I don't think I could go without having her."

"What happened to her anyway? Why is she all banged up?"

I should've known this was coming up. I can't lie the truth is bound to come out. The news report is already published on the internet. I look down at my shoes as I tell him what happened in the parking lot and on the news. I feel a little bit of my burden lift off from me. 

"Wow bro that's some tough shh.."

"Don't you dare say that over her! Have some respect for the injured."

"Chill. Chill. I'll hold back around her."

"Aye I need you to call Jaida. Tell her that La'Toya is back in her room."

"I'm on it."

RJ steps out the room and I step closer to La'Toya. I sit in the bed beside her and hold her hand.

RJ
"Pick up. Pick up."

"Hello who is this that keeps callin me?"

I am about to reply when I hear a dude voice in the background.

"La'Toya back in her room."

I hurry up and hang up the phone. We gotta problem. The storm really is brewing. Houston we have a problem.

Jaida
"People get on my nerves!!!"

"Why you say that?"

"Cause this unknown caller keep callin me. Ion even know who it is!"

"Well what did they say?"

"La'Toya is back in her room! Here I am playing wit cha take me back to the hospital and fast."

"Yes ma'am!"

I finish off the last of my fries and put the empty box back in the bag. I look out the window as we pass cars and buildings.

"Can I ask a question?"

"Shoot."

"Have you ever been in love before?"