Chapter 18: Clueless

La'Toya
Should've been me? That bullet was meant for me? I push those thoughts aside for now as I toss Jaida my t-shirt so she could tie it around Mrs. Graham. She married her high school sweetheart. She has the cutest little love story. That must be nice to have a happily ever after. I swerve from lane to lane.

"Don't worry Mrs. Graham I'm gonna get you to the hospital in no time."

She doesn't say anything. I turn my rear view mirror at angle so I can look at her and behind me. She's in the back seat taking deep breaths while wincing from the pain. The light just turned yellow.

"Everybody hold on I'm finna take it."

I drive through the light and make a sharp turn into the hospital's parking lot.

"Could you turn any sharper?"

"We ain't got time to talk noise Jaida. Help me get her outta the back seat."

We get out and open the back door.

"Jaida go on the other side and get her legs."

We manage to get her out of the Lincoln Navigator. We get closer and closer to the entrance. Once we get in the pass the slide doors I call out for help. Two male doctors and two nurses come to the rescue. I didn't know whether to stay or not. I know one thing for sure I was gonna let her son know where she was. I was going to wait until he got here.

Ryan
I texted Jaida earlier and asked her who was all going. She told me Orlando, La'Toya, and she was going to the beach. So Orlando had to of crowned La'Toya. The two are apparently inseparable according to Jaida. I went to the beach and I thought I had a clear shot at La'Toya. Some how some small, slim, thick Caucasian woman got in front of her when I pulled the trigger. I couldn't believe it. Before I could take another shot someone else shot in my direction. I couldn't risk being caught. I had to flee before I got discovered. Now I have a leverage on Orlando. Sorry La'Toya it's nothing personal it's just business.

Jaida
I checked my phone and saw that Ryan texted me. He asked where I was. I ignore him because my best friend needs me more.

"La'Toya you know it's not your fault. You couldn't have gotten her shot. So stop beating yourself up over this."

"Jaida it is my fault. I'm the cause of everyone's misery. My own parents don't want to be around me. So what she said has to be true. I'm endangering everyone around me. I don't want to hurt you or my gram. I think it'll be best if I distance myself from you, gram, and Orlando."

My heart starts to break and tears roll down La'Toya's face. I grab her and pull her into me. I hold her and her cries are muffled I rub her back. I reassure her that she isn't the reason. I cradle her and her cries cease. She sits up and dries her face.

"I must look like a wreck."

"No Toya you're beautiful."

Mrs. Graham's son and husband walks in. La'Toya stands up and walks over to them. She tells them what is going on.

"Thank you little lady."

After Mr. Graham says that him and his son wait in the waiting room.

"Let's go Jaida we left Orlando."

"We sure did."

We run to the car and La'Toya wipes a tear away.

"You okay?"

"Yeah check my phone while I'm driving."

"Well you have 20 missed calls from Orlando and a text message from your parents."

La'Toya nearly wrecked the car when she heard that last part.

"Excuse me I'm a priceless passenger. Watch how you driving."

"My bad."

I called Orlando off of Toya's phone and put him on speaker.

"La'Toya why haven't you been answering my phone calls?! I've been worried about you."

"We on our way to the beach again. So don't get your boxers in a twist."

"Um I don't think it's a smart idea for y'all to go back to the beach. It isn't safe for y'all to be here especially at night."

"Well I ain't finna leave you up there. What I look like leaving my mans?"

"Hold up. Y'all dating?"

Both of them get dead silent.

"Oh okay we getting quiet now? Keeping secrets huh?"

"La'Toya I'll just get RJ to take me to a gas station so we can meet up."

"Okay. What gas station? I need to know so I can turn off."

"The one in downtown next to the bar and grill."

"So y'all just gonna ignore my question?"

"Alright we'll meet you there."

"Be safe. I love you."

"We will and I love you too."

"Oh before I go there's a .44 magnum, Glock 17, .50 Caliber Glock, and a SIG Sauer P226 in the glove compartment. See you when we get there."

He hung up the phone.

"J check the glove compartment."

"Toya ion know what if one of them goes off?"

"Quit with the dramatics. I'm pretty sure they have the safety on."

I open the glove compartment and pulled out the guns. They had a dull, cold shine to them in the moonlight. La'Toya looks over and she has wears the expression like she has just seen a ghost. I gulp and put the guns back in the glove compartment.

RJ
"Orlando this stuff is getting more dangerous. Do you realize La'Toya could've got shot if I hadn't shot in Ryan's direction?"

"Ryan? Who's Ryan and how do you know it was him?"

"Ryan is the one who stomped you in '04. I know it was him because he's the one that came into the hospital room with Jaida. He's the storm. We have to find a way to put an end to this once and for all."

"How we gon stop him?"

"TJ and I slowly started stopping him. It's like every time we try to stop him he claps back harder."

"We almost to the gas station. Aye who is that in the Black Sedan with dem tinted windows?"

"Ion know, but they driving like the feds are on their tails! Ion like that. We better reach the girls fast and in a hurry. Hope you got your seatbelt on."