Chapter 33: Calm Before The Storm

RJ
What ever happens next.. nah I ain't finna think like that. I roll my windows down and lean my chair back. I glance back at Orlando. I need to go ahead and get him to the safe house. In my rearview mirror I see the whole parade of my family members' cars. The car that was directly behind me was La'Toya's. Orlando got him a keeper he better not mess it up. Shoo I'd beat his butt myself. This getting pretty messy with the Legacy business. Being lost in my thoughts I almost miss my turn off. I whip the car and La'Toya matches my movement. I park the car and she pulls in right besides me.

"We need to get him in there fast."

"Come on then."

Me and La'Toya go at a fast pace to get him in the safe house.

"La'Toya how you holding up?"

"Why didn't we go to a hospital?"

"Too many questions and this ain't just any normal situations that happen. Besides we wouldn't want anyone to see him out of commission."

I let that sit with La'Toya as we go through the door.

"Doc!! Doc!!"

Doc rushes toward us and he  tells us to set him down on the table in the room.

"Alright! Set him down gently. Give me space to work."

We silently watch as Doc starts patching Orlando up. I couldn't just stand there and do nothing. I gotta keep moving.

"La'Toya come on. We need to let the man work in peace."

She didn't respond to me. She stood looking at Orlando. I try to lead her out the room, but she pulls her arm away from me. I throw her over my shoulder and set her down in the hallway.

"Listen to me. Right now all we can do is let Doc do his job."

This ain't like her to go silent like the way she is now. I lead her in the meeting room and she takes a seat in one of the chairs around the table. All the family members except Ryan, Rylee, Kayla, and Uncle Darius takes a seat. Aunt Jayla takes a seat at the head of the table. She sits with perfect posture and says

"Who are you? If you're not family I'm gonna have to ask you to leave because this is a family affair."

La'Toya is in her own world so she didn't hear Aunt Jayla. I decide to speak up for her.

"No disrespect Auntie, but she has every right to be here."

"Nephew I'm not sure how she's connect in this, but she has to go she's not family."

"She's connected to us by Orlando."

"How?"

"He crowned her as the next Legacy queen."

Finally a moment where she was lost for words. The room was dead silent you could hear a pen drop. They were looking from me to Auntie. Big Mama steps in and speaks up.

"Jayla lost for words? You knew this day was coming. We all did so that's not the two problems we're facing right now. The problems are Kayla and Orlando's injury. So as the head of Legacy you need to get this right and find a solution."

"Wait how did he...? Big Mama you had no right!! I was gonna.."

"What? Tell him when the time was right? Wake up Jayla baby! Wake the... ooo you almost made me say something I haven't said in a while! Everything isn't on your time! I'm older than you and you are gonna treat me as such. Respect your elders! Don't make me put you in your place. You're not too old to get cha butt whooped."

"I'm sorry grandma. It was still my place to tell my son. I'll address that later. For me to come to a decision I need to know all the events that occurred. Children of Legacy you now have the floor."

"I RJ a child of Legacy son of Meisha and Roland will speak. Auntie Jayla and other active adult members of Legacy I'll sum up what's been happening so far. Basically Ryan found out about Orlando's crowning of the future queen. He didn't have a name or face at first until he figured it out. Then he sent shooters after La'Toya. Currently he's using her best friend for a hold over her and I got a disc of what went down at Aunt Jayla's house earlier today. He kidnapped her best friend and she went after her. We just got her back from over there."

"I TJ son of Aisha and Troy will speak. There's a little some some that's been going on with Rylee. She ummm kinda ran away and she needed help. She's not like her mother and we are suppose to....."

"Silence enough! Me being Queen I have to correct every mistake you all make! TJ you've just been used and manipulated in the most obvious way do you not understand it? She played you like a book. She had you wrapped round her finger. Do you realize what you have just done? Hmm? You just caused a war. She stays hidden and her mother thinks we have her. Now she has probable cause to start a war on us even though she has no evidence! RJ play the tape!"

I put the disc in and everyone watches what happened earlier this evening.

"RJ turn it off. Turn it off now!"

I turn it off and go back to my seat.

Jayla
Okay Kayla wants to break me down it's time to give her a run for her money.

"Okay this is the new order that is going to be effective immediately. All of the children of Legacy is here by ordered to attend school and focus on their studies. Let us adults handle and contain the situation at hand. We have already had enough of the meddling you all have done. You have only added gasoline to the fire."

Big Mama stands up and faces me. I know we're gonna talk after the meeting.

"Any questions? Okay you are all dismissed."