Chapter 23: Can't Stay

Orlando
I don't know who that woman is, but she isn't my mom. I run upstairs and pack me some clothes. I get other things before I hear a sound of a sharp object scratching against the wall. I hear her heel hit each one of the stairs.

"Orlando honey?"

I pack all of my stuff and put it in my bag and climb down the side of the house. Don't ask me how I did it, but I dash all the way to my truck. My hand is shaking out of control and I fumble with the keys. I finally get it in right and pull out as fast as I can. I call the police and tell them there has been the murder of my father. I even manage to get a copy of the security footage of the house today. I can easily burn another disk from my laptop. At least I can get an insight on what happened earlier. Right now I gotta get outta here and call RJ.

RJ
At least I had one day of rest from Orlando. I think La'Toya was behind that. I go ahead and answer the phone.

"Sup."

"RJ something went down and I need backup just in case she's following me."

"Who's following you?"

"Some woman that looked like my mother. She can't be her my mama wouldn't do what she did. I can't and I won't believe it."

"Look you sure that it wasn't your mama?"

"A son know his mama. My mama wasn't as cold as the woman that was before me. The joy in my mama eyes was gone and that ain't the nature in her. She would've called me when I didn't show up last night. Something happened to her RJ. We gotta find her. It's time to tell the adults and get them to help us. We can't hide this anymore. My family is starting to get involved...."

"Our Family has always been involved. They're the ones that kinda started this. We'll figure this out as a family."

"I don't know what I'd do without you and La'Toya. Y'all keep me stable bro."

"We gon figure this out bro."

La'Toya
I've been calling Lando non stop and he still ain't pick up his phone. He can't do that because then my mind wonders and I worry non stop. This makes me start thinking my dream did come true. Imma call his cousin. It rings four times and I hold my breath.

"Hello."

"RJ thank God you picked up."

"What's wrong?!" Ryan over there?"

"No. No. It's not me it's Lando he won't pick up."

I hear some rustling in the background.

"My bad what did you say?"

"I said it's not me it's Lando."

"My bad for not answering your calls shawty."

"Orlando Landon Washington! I told you don't have me being worried! I tell you what from now on when you come over the couch is where you'll sleep." 

I try to hold onto my tough act, but I can't. I can't stay mad at Orlando is one reason. The other is that I was more upset than mad. My eyes start to water and my nose starts to drip. I sniffle.

"La'Toya I know you're not crying."

I set the phone down and blow my nose.

"No it's allergies."

I just lied straight through my teeth.

"Look baby doll I'm sorry. I don't wanna worry you. I'm safe okay. If it'll make you feel any better then I'll come over. Just so you can see I'm alive."

"Yeah... that'll make me feel a little better."

"Okay I'll pull up."

"Well I'll let you love birds have this phone call."

Ryan

"It's done."

"Good now the other part can be put in motion."

I laugh we are getting them one by one. I call Jaida and tell her to check on La'Toya. I check my phone and see that the tracker I placed on her car is working perfectly. Wherever she's going it'll lead me to La'Toya. It'll be a bonus if Orlando is over there. After hearing about his father's death I hope it broke a piece of his soul. By the time I'm done I want him completely broken and battered. I don't want an ounce of love in him. All the pain I faced over the years will come down on him ten times harder. He better be happy he still has his mother left. She's just another easy disposable chess piece in my game. Now if we could only find out who's helping them we can chop them down too.

RJ
Time to switch out my license plate and burn it up. I made sure it wasn't a retraceable. It won't link anyone to Legacy or me. If Ryan found out it was me and TJ helping them out it wouldn't turn out too good. I'm just not gonna leave him out to defend himself. He's family and you can't do that.

Jaida
Ryan really has me worried about La'Toya. Hold up wait a minute he's doing it again. The stuff he says and does ain't adding up. Why would he just call me out of the blue and tell me that? Out of me and Orlando she'd call us first if something happened to her. Instead of driving to La'Toya's house I drive back to mine. Just to my luck I'm home alone. There's a note on the refrigerator that reads:

Me and your father have to go to North Dakota. Your father's father is fighting for his life. I'm sorry for any inconvenience. If you want you have our permission to stay with La'Toya.

                                   Love you,
                                  Mom and Dad

No. No this isn't good. I hear three loud knocks on the front door. Now I know how Kevin felt on Home Alone. My phone vibrates in my pocket and it's a text from Ryan.

Ryan🤷‍♀️🤔❤️: Open the door.

I should've listened to La'Toya. I go out of the back door. I look around to see if I can get anyone to help me. I better hurry before it's too late.