Chapter 21: Not So Lonely Moment

Orlando
When La'Toya asked me to stay I felt like she trusts me more. Like I'm seeing her at venerable states in her life. That actually strengthens relationships if you let it. I go outside to tell RJ that I'm staying, but he's not there anymore. I check the mailbox and see my phone in there. I reach farther and there a note attached to my charger.

If you're reading this then I already know that you decided to stay with La'Toya. Just be safe and lay low. Enjoy your night together as a couple. Don't do anything I wouldn't do. You get stuck and ask yourself what would RJ do? Who am I kidding I'd do a lot of crazy things, but that's not the point. I didn't want Ryan to catch up to us so I took off. I plan on hiding Night Ride in the garage for a while so I got a new car to drive for the time being. Out next moves have to be well thought out and careful. I think you already catch on to our plan to take him down. It ain't gonna be easy, but it'll work. Well be safe cuh!

                                Your blood,
                                      RJ

P.S. Burn this note. Play smarter than harder.

I look down at the note and take it into the house. I burn it after I turn on the gas stove. Then I go up to La'Toya's room.

"Aye you hungry?"

"No. I just wanna sleep."

"Is there something shaking you up about the house?"

"Nah I'm just shaken up about what happened from earlier."

I know she is telling half truths, but I decide not to question her any further. Instead I wanna show her that I can be the reliable ride or die type for her. I sit beside her and pull her closer to me. She doesn't pull away instead she lays there. I start playing in her hair and talk about nothing in particular. Half way through my sentence she cuts me off.

"So why is Ryan after me?"

"Well... it's because you're my queen."

"What does that have to do wit anything?"

"Well a lot. He wants to take the throne."

"He wants to take the throne? Does your parents know?"

"I'm not really sure what my parents know, but I know the outcome isn't gonna be good. Somebody ain't gonna make it out alive."

"Why is it like this? What started all this hate and war?"

I go back to playing in her hair and telling her what happened at the Family Reunion in '04. She just listens and looks up at me ever so often.

"So basically ya mama twin is salty and jealous. So she feels like she been done dirty and now she wants revenge, power, money, and respect."

"That just about sums it up."

"And here I thought I had family drama. Wow mine doesn't compare to yours. But why does Ryan want me?"

"I'm guessing his mom has something to do with it. My fault for bringing you into this unaware lifestyle I'm into. We are only putting our toes in the water when it comes down to this Legacy."

"Don't be sorry. Before you all that I did was school work everyday. Now I get to live a whole life of excitement. You're showing me your world and I'm sharing mine. This is something I would've never thought of. But cha know ya girl need her beauty sleep. So imma need you to shush and turn off the lights."

I get up and turn off the lights. I can see La'Toya is already knocked out. I lay beside her and kiss her forehead.

"I got us baby girl. Ain't nobody gonna come between us. Imma protect you with everything I got. I want you to know I'm here for you."

I look at her for one last time before I go to sleep.

RJ
I'm convinced and certain Ryan knows La'Toya is the queen. This is why it's like she is like a walking target. What would I do if I was Ryan and knew La'Toya was the next queen? I ponder this and come to a conclusion. I'd put a bounty on her. So know we gotta give her makeover before she leaves the house. I'm talking bout the whole deal so she won't look the same. If he gets his hands on her it ain't no telling what is finna happened. I need to go head and put Night Ride up tho. I'm gonna miss driving my ride, but I gotta keep us safe.

"RJ I know you ain't coming in this house all late. So what have you been up to?"

"I've been out with Orlando."

I mean I ain't lie, but I didn't tell her why. Hopefully it's enough to slide by. If not it's finna get ugly. I watch my mom's face she's scanning my face trying to detect a lie. I hope she know she ain't finna catch me in nothing.

"Why'd you put your car in the garage? You never do that."

"Honestly mom I thought I would pick more chicks up in my other car. I wanna test this theory out."

"RJ honey before you go I got something to tell you."

"What's up?"

"Your dad called and he wants to rekindle his relationship with us as a family. RJ?"

"I'm finna go upstairs."

I walk by her and go into my room. I don't know how I got all this on my plate, but the struggle is real. I'm just gonna take everything with a grain of salt. I can't let all the obstacles overcome me. I'm finna be strong for mama bear, Orlando, La'Toya, Legacy, and myself.