Chapter 20: Rage of the Knight

Ryan
I'm following the tracker and it says I'm on top of it. Yet I don't see the Lincoln Navigator. I roll down the window and look out. I see Jaida's shattered phone. I pull my truck over into the grass. I pick up the phone and slam it down hard. I pick it up and it won't even come on. I stomp it until I could see all the gears in the inside. I hit the side of my truck and put my hands on my head. This ain't how this suppose to go. I'm gonna win Jaida back over and I have to convince her. First thing first I'm gonna get La'Toya either way. I dial the number of one of my goons.

"Yeah boss?"

"Put a bounty on La'Toya's head. I'll send you a picture of her later. I want you to check all the street cams and see what direction they went in. If you don't get her tonight well you know what will happen."

I hang up my phone and throw it into the passenger seat. I need to know where they went so I can get there first. They couldn't have gotten far. I get in the truck and start it.

Jaida
I don't know what to say or to think. I just lost my phone it had everything from contacts to photos. Like some stuff in there is priceless, but La'Toya better be glad I backed all my stuff up on iCloud. Otherwise we'd have a serious problem. What really had me confused was Ryan's involvement he couldn't possibly be involved in this. He just he's different and I refuse to believe it until I have concrete evidence. Like it ain't adding up.

"La'Toya Ry can't be behind this."

"Jaida Marisha Green how could you put your mouth to say something like that?"

"I'm just sayjng we don't have no type of evidence holding to this."

"Jaida how else did he know that a Black Sudan was following us and shooting at us?"

"Okay, but he didn't know if you were with me tho. And the people in the Black Sudan knew that it was two of us. So if he was behind this then he would've know that."

"Whatever I'm not even finna do this right now. Orlando go ahead and FaceTime me."

Orlando gets on FaceTime with La'Toya and I turn on the radio. I would've put my headphones in, but oh wait I don't have a phone. Shoutout to La'Toya and RJ thanks for that. I sulk and watch the cars pass by. I don't hear anything that's going on around me I focus on the outside.

La'Toya
"Ooo look at you driving looking like a snack!"

"Orlando don't I am not in the mood for games. We almost there where are y'all."

"Right behind a Black 2018 Lincoln Navigator."

"I look in the rearview mirror and see Night Ride."

"Oh y'all all fancy huh? Finally learned how to speed up."

"La'Toya you better take this exit."

"I know where I'm going dad. Geez!"

I turn on my signal and get over into the right lane. The RJ does the same. We pull into the back side of the hotel where there isn't any cameras. I park the Lincoln and tap Jaida.

"C'mon let's go."

Jaida gets out and leaves without a word. She hates when I'm right. I roll my eyes just leave me to get everything. I take out the guns, beach bags, aux cord, etc. I don't know how much time we have until Ryan comes, but I don't want him getting anything on us. I grab a car wipe and some gloves. I wipe the interior and exterior of the car down. I ain't tryna give him my finger prints.

Orlando
"La'Toya let's go!"

La'Toya puts everything in the trunk and hops in the back seat behind RJ. RJ pulls out making sure he takes the back roads so we could go unseen. I notice Jaida and La'Toya are awfully quiet. I start to say something, but I think about what I heard while we were on the phone.

"So we dropping Jaida off first?" RJ asks.

"Jaida you going home first?" La'Toya asks.

"Yeah I'm ready to go home." Jaida hisses.

The car goes silent and I turn up the radio.

La'Toya texted me Jaida's address so we could drop her off. We dropped Jaida off and she didn't even say bye. Whatever happened between those two must've been serious.

RJ
The car ride has been awkward, but since we let Jaida out some of the tension left.

"So where we heading now?"

"You can take me to my house."

"Her address is..."

"No I'm not going to gram's house."

"Take me to 515 Rose Avenue."

"Will do madam."

I glance and see La'Toya crossing her arms in the back. She has her eyes closed mumbling something to herself. When I drive up to the address she looks shaken up.

"Here we are."

La'Toya
Here I am back at the very place I've been avoiding for since as long as I can remember. It's something I need to face head on.

"Thanks for... for the ride RJ. Can you open up the trunk please?"

"Sure thing."

I grab the contents in the trunk. I can't carry all of it so I place it on the driveway.

"Babe you need help?"

"Yeah please and thank you."

I take a deep breath and walk up the stairs. I pull the key out of my pocket. My hands shake a little as I put the key in the lock. I feel Orlando's hands on my waist.

"You good?"

"Yeah I am."

I manage to get the door open and I turn on the lights. I motion for Orlando to follow me. He comes into my room and set the bags down.

"I thought you said you don't like living alone?"

"I don't, but I'm tired of putting people's lives at risk. That's why I'm choosing to distance myself from the people that mean something to me. If that means living alone then so be it.

"Babydoll I don't care what you say. I can't stay away from you if I tried. You're not in this alone. Besides it's not safe for you to be alone especially with what happened tonight."

"Will you stay with me tonight?"

"Yeah lemme just tell RJ right quick."