Chapter 16: Lost Trust

Orlando
La'Toya came back to school Tuesday. Ever since I dropped that bomb on her Monday she's been avoiding me. In class she won't even look over at me. I've done everything in my power to talk to her.

"Hey La'Toya."

"La'Toya Orlando talking to you."

"Baby who? He ain't talking to me."

"So you really gon act like I'm not standing right here."

"Jaida tell Orlando that he should've been honest with his intentions from the start."

"La'Toya said...."

"You really gonna act like this? Well tell La'Toya that I didn't know at first and that she better be glad I didn't force it on her."

"Orlando said..."

"Tell Orlando that when he first found out he should've told me."

"You know what I'm getting tired of y'all telling me to give the message to one another. Then y'all cut me off...."

"Jaida!!!"

"Okay y'all figure this out I'll be over there when y'all done."

Jaida got up and left me alone with La'Toya.

"La'Toya I'm sorry I just started to find out bits and pieces myself. I didn't want to stress you or make your healing process longer. I promise I had your best interest at heart. So just believe that you hear me."

"Orlando I'm scared okay. I've been told empty promises from so many guys. When I need people they leave. You see I don't have a good relationship with my own parents. All they do for me is transfer money in my bank account. I don't wanna be home alone every night that's why I chose to stay with my grandma. She's the only piece of family that I can depend on other than Jaida. She showed up a couple of times to the hospital. I don't want to put too much stress on her. My own parents didn't answer my phone call after my car accident. They are the ones that brought me into this world. Why is that huh? It sure ain't love. Then I guess I try to find love in people. I'm cursed with a good heart too many people have done me wrong. You may see me walking around with a smile, but that doesn't mean that I'm not dying in side. So yes you hit a nerve. I don't think I'm ready though. You'll have to earn my trust."

"I'll do whatever it takes. Let's take a small baby step together."

Her head cocks to the side. I hand her to the keys to the car I bought her.

"Orlando..."

"Nah we taking small steps. I told you I don't do pink."

I walk off and smile to myself.

RJ
I watch Orlando wall back over to his desk.

"Why you smiling so hard? You act like you won the lottery or something."

"I finally got La'Toya to take the keys to her car."

"Speaking of La'Toya what's going on with you two? I thought everything was all good."

"Oh you heard that?"

"Yeah I'm pretty sure the whole class heard it. Y'all were pretty loud and Jaida wasn't making it any better."

"Well I finally told her about the queen thing and she didn't take it so well."

"So what are we gonna do bout it?"

"I gotta gain her trust back then we'll see. She said she wasn't ready yet."

"I gotta text from Rylee today."

"I ain't heard from her in forever. How is she?"

"She married and pregnant."

"Ain't she 18 finna be 19?"

"Yup. She living her life."

"That's wow I always thought you'd be the first to get a girl pregnant."

"I see how much you think of me. That was low, but aye at least she got her stuff together."

"True you right."

"Orlando and RJ shut your mouths. Can't you see me trying to teach the lesson?"

Orlando
I look over at La'Toya and Jaida. They over there holding their face laughing at us. I sigh and pass a note to La'Toya. The note said,"Hang out this weekend?" She looked over at me and smiled. She wrote her answer and walked passed my desk. She set the note on my desk and "accidentally" dropped my papers on the floor.

"Oops lemme get that."

I watch her as she drops down and picks it up.

"Here you go Orlando."

She places it on my desk and looks back. She bites her lip and walks off.

"RJ you seen that?!"

"You got you a baddie bro!"

Me and RJ dapped. Jaida was laughing with La'Toya so hard. This girl had tears coming out of her eyes.

Jaida
"La'Toya I can't believe you actually went through with that!!! I thought you weren't serious bout that! I know you lying. I'm so proud of you!!"

"Thank you boo! I learn from the best."

La'Toya gets up and bounces her cake. I shake my head. I've just created a monster.

"What was on that note?"

"Oh he asked if I wanted to hang this weekend."

"And what did you say?"

"Dang nosy much?"

"Answer the question."

"Yes mother. I shall tell you. I told him that we would hang out."

"Don't play wit me. We? Always inviting me to stuff. Where we going?"

"I don't know, but wear regular clothes. Bring a bathing suit just in case."

"Okay make sure you do it nine to five this weekend. Make him lose his mind this weekend."

I wink at her.

"I ain't finna be a side chick. No SZA vibes I'm the main chick and no other females better be involved."

You can't help, but to love La'Toya's crazy self.

"Ion wanna be third wheeling you and Orlando though."

"Invite Ryan duh."

Ryan
I'm ready to graduate midterm. School just some I ain't wit. My academic scores up there. I made a 35 on my ACT and a 2399 on the SAT. I mean I don't know what I wanna do when I leave high school. If the plan goes the way it's suppose to then I'll be running Legacy. Then I ain't gotta worry about college or money.