Chapter 39: Homecoming

La'Toya
When we get back to school Mrs. Wally was already laying the work on us thick. I know English IV is important, but she needs to chill out.

"It's great to have you back La'Toya. We have a community service project.... Orlando?"

"Coach let me out so I could hear more about the project."

"Have a seat. There's an open spot next to La'Toya. Now about the community service project. Everyone in English IV has to complete one in order to pass. It has to be something with a purpose and you must provide photography. I want at least 8 to 10 pictures. I want you all to be unique with your projects and think outside the box. Anyone can build a house, but what will set yours apart? After you do the project you'll present it in front of the class. During your presentation you will explain what you did and how will you apply it to your life after high school. Having a mentor would help guide you, but it's not required. It's due after Thanksgiving Break. Any questions?"

I got the just of the whole idea. I don't like procrastinating so I'm going to go ahead and start on mine. I pull out a piece of my wide rule paper and start brainstorming ideas. I feel eyes staring at me and I look beside me. Orlando is look at me while he's biting his lip.

"Can I help you sir?"

"I'm sir now?"

"What do ya need?"

"Nothing I'm just admiring the view."

Nobody could make my cheeks burn the way Orlando did. I looked away and covered my face.

"Nah don't cover your face. You have the most beautiful smile I've ever laid my eyes on. I already know you blushing."

"Lando stooop. I'm tryna do this project."

By the time I had my idea for my community service project the bell rung. I was the only one who wasn't packed up. I scramble to place everything in my backpack neatly, but eventually I said forget it. I shoved everything in there and left the classroom. Orlando grabbed my hand and we walked to the parking lot.

"So did Coach really let you out?"

"Yeah he did after I told him I'd make up the laps I missed for today."

"You really show dedication to football huh?
Most guys just get in it just for the scholarships. Between you and me it shows on the field."

"Well how many times I gotta tell you I'm not one of them guys you use to fool with? When I decide I wanna do something I put my all plus more into it. The scholarship is just a bonus."

"Sooo homecoming is around the corner. How you think you are gonna do for the game?"

"We have a good team this year. So I think we might go undefeated this year if everyone works hard and stick with it."

When I mentioned homecoming I really wasn't really too much wanting it to be focused on the game. I do care about football because Orlando is playing in it. I know I didn't say it, but I wanted him to say something about the dance. The things that are unsaid are the things that should be said. I get to my car and go to my house. I start on my project and time passes.

The past couple of months I have locked down on my homework and project. I've written a script against bullying and I have been rehearsing with my actors. They have their lines down pack and I think it's gonna be a great show. I plan on doing the play at the center and I'll ask for donations to donate to the anti bullying campaign. My big production is tonight and I'm nervous.

Orlando
Tonight is the night La'Toya is gonna put on her play. I don't know what she's worried about it's gonna be a hit especially since I'm in it. I put on my outfit and smile at my reflection. It's showtime. I watch as the La'Toya goes in the middle of the stage and talks to the crowd.