Chapter 41: Troubles in the Water

Jaida
"I did what you asked of me. Now tell me everything."

"In due time my love. In due time. For now I need to take you back to your friends and return this limo. Your real limo driver should be awake by the time we get back. Let's head back Franco."

"If you can't tell me everything right now then at least tell me something. You owe me after all."

"I guess I can at least tell you something since you did sign the contract. Let's see where do I start. I know a good part. Let's just say La'Toya ain't as innocent as you think."

"Why do you say that?"

"Let's just say she has more going on than she's letting on."

"I know my best friend."

"Oh do you? Her and Orlando are sitting on a whole Legacy. They're gonna be set for life hand in hand. King and Queen upon the throne. Where are you gonna be? The cat is out of the bag now. You finally know a little now. Knowledge is power so what are you going to do with this newly found power?"

It's a lot for me to process, but I'm sure she has a really good reason for it all.

"I..uh."

"Well here we are now. I'll see you later."

After he said that he stepped out of the limo and Franco got out. Franco opened the trunk and put the old driver on the driver seat. Before I could ask anymore questions they left. I get out and walk up to the door to the building. They have a lot of explaining to do. First I need to make sure Ryan kept his word.

La'Toya
I can't believe I single handily disarmed a bomb with a little help of course. I'm moving up in the big leagues I see. I walk out and see that the entrances to all the exits are cleared.

"Where did the guys go?"

"They just left without a word."

"Huh? That's not what I expected."

We stand around looking befuddled and I hear a door open. I face the area the noise came from. It's nobody, but Jaida so we relax. I can tell she is inattentive.

"Jaida please don't tell me you've been in here this whole time."

Instead of answering she stops and looks at us from a distance.

"Well I guess we're done here. Let's eat."

They follow me out and we go inside the limo.

"Take us to the nearest restaurant please."

"Yes ma'am."

Something about the ride felt off. I think something happened since Jaida's been here. I'm gonna get to the bottom of it later. Now is the night to make memories of our senior year. I put on a smile and try to lighten the mood.

"So don't worry y'all we all are alive to see another day. Thanksgiving breaks starts too. We don't have to worry about school for a while. So we can be together and bond."

Still nobody said anything. This night was suppose to be lit.

"Fine y'all can be bums I'm finna be lit all by myself."

I let down the sun roof of the limo and I stand up. The wind blows through my hair and I watch the city lights. When we pulled up to the restaurant I'm the first to get out.

RJ
La'Toya is being all enthusiastic like we just didn't almost get blown up. I like it that she's trying to keep our spirits up, but we can't just adjust like that. We get seated by the waiter and we look over our menus. La'Toya is trying to move the elephant out of the room, but it's not working at all. By the time the appetizers and drinks come all you hear is the music playing over the speakers. The waiter comes over and keeps on making passes at La'Toya. She keeps on dismissing them, but I don't think he's getting the message. He brings our food so every now and then you hear the clinking of someone's silverware. Customers come and go. I can tell it's been a slow night for them so far. I look up at Jaida to see what she's looking at. Her eyes are behind me and I turn around to see Ryan.

"Oh Jaida I forgot to give you your copy of the contract. Here you go. Oh you don't have to worry about me I was just leaving. Please enjoy your meal it's on me."

Jaida tries to hold her face and La'Toya looks at her sideways.

Orlando
I can already tell La'Toya is finna lose it.

"Babe calm down wait till we get in the limo to talk about it."

She looks at me and frowns. She continues to eat and you could tell she was taking her anger out on her food. Jaida stopped eating. She started looking at me and RJ with pleading eyes. When La'Toya finished she got up and sat in the limo. I got a to-go plate and sat beside her. Then the other two came.

La'Toya
I snatch the contract outta her hands. I start to read over it and find out that this is only part one of the contract.

"Contract are you serious? Did you even read this before you signed it?"

"I did what I had to do to save y'all butts."

"Save us? We didn't need saving!"

"Yes y'all did. There was a bomb in there."

"I disarmed it."

"I. You say what?"

"I disarmed it."

"Well I ain't the only one keeping secrets. Ryan told me about you and Orlando."

"You don't know by now all that dude do is lie?"

"Oh really. So y'all aren't the Queen and King of Legacy."

Now that was a punch to the stomach and my heart.

"I needed to protect you from it. You see what happened last time."

"Protect me? I'm not a baby. I was rocking with you even when we didn't know what was happening. Unless you're lying about not knowing. How many times do I have to tell you I'm here?"

"You right I'll tell you whatever you wanna know, but for now we gotta drop you off."

"Drop me off? Oh so you can be in this gang stuff huh?"

"We not in a gang."

"Let me go with ya'll."

"I can't. Well at least not right now."

"Of course. Take me home."