Chapter 19: A Thief in the Knight

La'Toya
We have guns in this Lincoln Navigator! Are they even licensed? I try to get my mind off of it. I turn on the radio and I get the bag by Gucci Mane feat. Migos plays. My hands tighten on the steering wheel. I look out of the corner of my eye and see J looking out of the window. What have we gotten ourselves into I wonder? I pull into the gas station and park the car. I try to relax, but I can't. I'm on edge. I don't know why would we would need guns. Don't nobody want us. We haven't done anything and we aren't in debt. Clearly we ain't finna rob this gas station that barely make bank. The only thing that comes to mind is that we need this for protection. The person that shot Mrs. Graham is coming for me. If I'd known this I would've stayed home and binge watch a show. Now I don dragged J into this. A black Sudan whips in the gas station on the opposite side driving like a race car. It starts driving our way shooting.

"Get down!!!!!"

"Jaida pass me a gun!"

She gives me one and I get up and shoot back. I start the car and drive out as fast as possible.

"Call Orlando! Since you riding shot gun here! Shoot at em back and watch out for pedestrians." I exhale and tighten my grib on the wheel. The phone rings and he answers.

"Orlando we gotta problem!"

"Lemme guess a black Sudan with tinted windows?"

"How did you...?"

"I told you RJ that car looked suspicious!"

"You'll have all the time in the world to argue whenever we get to safety."

"We tryna come up behind them and take them out. Just stay on the phone."

"I'm tryna to shake them off! Jaida shoot at their tires!"

"I'm trying!"

"You wanna switch?"

"Fine since you trying to tell me how to do my job!"

I get on the passenger side. I connect my phone to the aux cord and play my hype music. I peep out my window it looked safe. I shot out their headlight. They returned a bullet that caught the side view mirror. I leaned out of the window and tried again and I shot a little above the tire.

"I swear it's hard. The movies make it look like it's easy."

"Toya this ain't a game, movie, or dream this is actually happening!"

"La'Toya baby just take a deep breath and focus with both eyes opened."

"We don't have enough time!"

Right on cue a bullet shattered the rear windshield. Jaida cussed and my heart rate sped up. I waited five seconds and leaned out and shot the front tire. The driver steered left and I shot the back tire. As the car turned I shot the back tire on the left hand side. I know all cars have a donut, but they don't have two other tires. Jaida saw a red light so she starts to slow down.

"What is wrong with you?!"

"Red light!"

"What if they catch up?"

Jaida's phone starts to ring.

"La'Toya answer it and put it on speaker."

Ryan
"Jaida where are you? Is La'Toya there with you?"

"Yeah she wit me. Why what's up?"

"Are y'all okay did you get shot?"

"Get shot?"

"Yeah you know by a Black Sudan."

"How do you know about that?"

"I heard about a shoot out at a gas station."

"I never told you we were at a gas station."

I'm slipping. I'm starting to lose my touch. I only needed her on the phone for at least thirty seconds in order for me to track their location. I've achieved my goal.

"You right I must've confused you with someone else. Bye Jaida be safe."

So they're still in downtown? This is gonna be so easy.

RJ
"Jaida throw your phone out of the window! Now!"

"Imma lose all of my contacts!"

"Do it!"

"La'Toya! What the heck? I just lost everything in that phone and then on top of that you broke it!"

"Orlando you better watch out La'Toya takes action."

"J you act like we can't get em back! It was a freakin tracker. Clearly Ryan is behind this. It ain't rocket science. Now move so I can drive us out of here as far as possible."

I look at Orlando and speed up.

"Where are y'all?"

"I drove outta downtown now we are on the outskirts of the city."

"Meet is at the hotel 3 miles away from there."

"Okay what kind of vehicle are you driving? So the incident with the Sudan doesn't repeat."

"I'm driving my 2019 Mustang "Night Ride"to the destination. Any other questions?"

"Nah I'm good for the moment."

Orlando
I can tell by the way La'Toya answered that question she's gonna have questions later. She is as curious as they come. I wanna know why Ryan is targeting her instead of me. Unless he.. knows that she....is my queen. This ain't good! Hopefully this turns out well and nobody dies in the mean time. I don't like death too much. It's like they leave you by yourself. They've gone to a better place and here you are still struggling. Good for them. If La'Toya died I don't know what I would do without her.

"RJ do you think I could talk this out with Ryan?"

"You have a slim chance with that."

"Talk what out with Ryan? Hey I just saw you shoot La'Toya and Jaida's car. That's a no no we don't do that. Now get it together before we whoop ya butt.

"La'Toya be serious."

"You expect me to be serious when we just risk our lives without even knowing?"

"Well first things first count your blessings. You didn't get shot or a tire shot. You're gonna see ya man. We are finna take care of y'all and get y'all to safety."